Heated propagator

rburrena

Heated propagator

Post by rburrena »

I am looking to get a heated propogator, preferably a windowsill one as I dont have much space, but I am a bit confused. I want to germinate palms and bananas and these seem to require temps of up to 35C during the day. The problem is most propagators seem to promise "gentle" heat at 19C. I believe I want one with a thermostat so I can adjust the temps, but the information on sites selling them doesnt seem to specify the temps that they can produce. So where can I get one that produces the conditions I need to exotic plants? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks. :D
Kristen

Re: Heated propagator

Post by Kristen »

Dunno the answer to that, but to get more heat you can put it in an insulated box - polystyrene or some insulation boards left over by builders e.g. Kingspan.

Watch out it doesn't get too hot for the electrics, but IME it just raises the attainable temperature 10C or so.

I have an always-on, low wattage, propagator that works OK for me for most seeds. I put it on a timer for Day/Night for things that need cooler night temperatures - room temperature is usually fine for the Low temperature.

I also have a heating mat which has a thermostatic probe. I put the probe in a pot of soil, on the mat, and then the thermostat is based on soil temperature.

Putting the pot.seed tray in a plastic bag in the Airing Cupboard is another route - check twice a day though as once sprouted seedlings need light!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Try a Biogreen propagator with a thermostat, they manufacture them in three sizes and will reach 40 c on a windowsill. icon_thumright
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Thanks so much for your help guys :D
Kristen wrote: I have an always-on, low wattage, propagator that works OK for me for most seeds. I put it on a timer for Day/Night for things that need cooler night temperatures - room temperature is usually fine for the Low temperature..
Would you mind telling me which one you have and how you connect the timer? thanks :D
Kristen wrote: I also have a heating mat which has a thermostatic probe. I put the probe in a pot of soil, on the mat, and then the thermostat is based on soil temperature.
Is this in a greenhouse? Not really an option for a windowsill?
Kristen wrote: Putting the pot.seed tray in a plastic bag in the Airing Cupboard is another route - check twice a day though as once sprouted seedlings need light!
Yes i have tried this on top of my boiler, gets to 30C but i have not had great results.
jungle jas wrote:Try a Biogreen propagator with a thermostat, they manufacture them in three sizes and will reach 40 c on a windowsill. icon_thumright
This looks perfect, exactly what i want, apart from the fact that it is too big, I really dont have the space, shame they dont do a windowsill version of this. Most of these products seem to assume you have a greenhouse. Looks like I might have to look into wiring up power to my garage at the end of the garden! I am no good at DIY though.

At the moment I am not sure I have the space to do this thing properly, might just have to go for a basic windowsill propagator to start off with until I can put together a solution in my garage :(

Something like this? Any good?

http://www.gardenbestbuys.com/all_propa ... tAodTjkA3A
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I have the Garland Super 7 Electric Windowsill Propagator that you posted a link to (I have two of them in fact, and I bought a full set of extra trays, and a few extra lids; by the time the first batch has germinated the trays come off the propagator and I start off a second set, and by the time they are up the first batch have been pricked out - more-or-less :) ). They are just gentle heat though, so I think you would struggle to get them up to a hot temperature (although if you put them in insulated box you could)

I wouldn't put them in my greenhouse. Temperature too cold (so propagator would have to work very hard to get temperature high enough), and light level is rubbish in Winter (better than indoors though ...) If you are starting things off early then artificial light might be a consideration - bit tight to squeeze that onto a windowsill though! Insulated box, with artificial light, in the garage / utility room might do though?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

rburrena wrote:Thanks so much for your help guys :D

jungle jas wrote:Try a Biogreen propagator with a thermostat, they manufacture them in three sizes and will reach 40 c on a windowsill. icon_thumright
This looks perfect, exactly what i want, apart from the fact that it is too big, I really dont have the space, shame they dont do a windowsill version of this. Most of these products seem to assume you have a greenhouse. Looks like I might have to look into wiring up power to my garage at the end of the garden! I am no good at DIY though.
icon_scratch You must have smaller windows than me, have you looked at the smallest one. I think Jungle Seeds sell them. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I've just looked on there website , they don't seem to sell the small one anymore. icon_thumright
Last edited by jungle jas on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

jungle jas wrote:
rburrena wrote:Thanks so much for your help guys :D

icon_scratch You must have smaller windows than me, have you looked at the smallest one. I think Jungle Seeds sell them. icon_thumright
I will measure just in case but i am pretty sure it will be too deep to fit well on the windowsill. Haven't been able to find any smaller version of this. Will have another look. Thanks.