best fargesia for...

Mr List

best fargesia for...

Post by Mr List »

which fargeisa bamboo is best for a 6ft hedge without needing to be trimmed down to size
karl66

Re: best fargesia for...

Post by karl66 »

In my experience maurelli jumbo, it also grow's really dense & bushy. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

By cut down to size you mean you don't want the culms to exceed 6ft or? icon_scratch

You know what i'm going to recommend the vigorous, thick, checkerboard effect Robusta Campbell drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 always delivers!

karl66

Post by karl66 »

I was going to suggest Campbell but it may grow to tall for his requirements :lol: agreed though it is a great boo. karl.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

the only reason I discounted it myself, grows 3-4 m tall, too tall.

I am thinking of doing my nephews garden up a little for him, atm he has privit hedges I would like to create a hedge he won't need to maintain in any way.
(no snipping needed at all)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:the only reason I discounted it myself, grows 3-4 m tall, too tall.

I am thinking of doing my nephews garden up a little for him, atm he has privit hedges I would like to create a hedge he won't need to maintain in any way.
(no snipping needed at all)
Do boo's exist which grow to 6ft exactly though/perfect hedge height ? icon_scratch :shock:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

that's what you guys are supposed to be for :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

rufa does alright for me, doesn't tend to exceed 6ft, but can be a bit floppy
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Simba has a mazimum height of 6ft and gets there in about 3-4 years. Nice, arch to it too.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Rufa is the only one that won't go over 6ft and that is largely due to how floppy it is.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How about Robusta for its upright like hedge qualities then just give it a trim every autumn once its stopped actively growing icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Fargesia nitida is supposed to be upright and shorter than robusta. anybody have any views on that?
Simba

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Simba has a mazimum height of 6ft.
I can confirm that this is true, I am 5 11".... icon_thumleft

Mr List wrote:Fargesia nitida is supposed to be upright and shorter than robusta. anybody have any views on that?
I have a Nitida, but I find it frustratingly floppy. Not one I'd automaticaly consider as upright.
Fargesia Wolong, that is quite upright, thickish culms for a Fargesia too.