buttress roots

Mr List

buttress roots

Post by Mr List »

I have picked up a second hand rainforest photo travel guide book for reference pictures to emulate etc...

buttress roots are one of they key things ,

are there any hardy plants which get buttress roots?
ways to fake it?
Conifers

Re: buttress roots

Post by Conifers »

Sitka Spruce can develop buttress roots to a certain extent.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not sure what size you are thinking, but buttress roots probably lead to killer of all damaging roots near buildings. Buttress roots are there to hold the tree up as it has shallow, wide spreading roots.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:Not sure what size you are thinking, but buttress roots probably lead to killer of all damaging roots near buildings. Buttress roots are there to hold the tree up as it has shallow, wide spreading roots.
They wouldn't be bad - the really damaging roots are deep ones which are able to get down below the building's foundations. Surface roots don't cause trouble to buildings (a different matter with driveways etc!).
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

it is just one of those jungle things that would be good to find a way to have in cold gardens I feel.

I was wondering if a version of the bonsai root over rocks could be done with a bigger sized plant to cheat an effect?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mr List wrote:it is just one of those jungle things that would be good to find a way to have in cold gardens I feel.
Only found on very large trees, though :roll:
Mr List wrote:I was wondering if a version of the bonsai root over rocks could be done with a bigger sized plant to cheat an effect?
Yep, that should work. Get a large boulder, cover it with a layer of soil 5-10 cm thick and plant a tree on the top; water regularly until you are sure the roots have got well into the main ground level soil. Gradually the soil covering the boulder will erode away, leaving exposed roots over the rock.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Root over rock, nice idea Mr L I have done that in the past with good effect but there are pitfalls. If you need any advice please ask. Also you can train the trunk and branches to good effect just like a giant bonsai. I am in the process of doing this with a Mulberry tree. icon_thumright
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Maybe you could try making a willow room but somehow in reverse to create the buttressed effect.

Instead of willow you could use mulberry or even Spanish laurel grown into long and unbranching plants, plant them in a circle and then weave them into shapes to resemble buttressed roots rising up to a main stem. Does the edible fig grow in your region? Figs are good because their stems and roots fuse together where they touch, even different plants so that could provide a nice effect as well...
Attachments
Willow room.jpg
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Sean thats a great idea, plant 6 or 8 figs in a circle about a foot apart and then pull the tops together with twine and then wait, and wait and wait and wait and wait. :lol: I wish I had thought of that twenty years ago. :roll: icon_thumright Bit late for me I'm afraid. icon_thumright
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Actually Im trying to figure out a way of doing one for myself now as well :lol:

If I had a bigger piece of land to play with Id look at doing a large one made from Ficus. Some of the already buttressing Ficus like F. obliqua or F. benghalensis would be perfect for making a ficus room, somewhere cool and shady to retreat from the sun and look out over the garden from inside a green living room. If only... :mrgreen:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yes Ficus look really good for a jungle effect, with both buttress and hanging aerial roots. Pity we can't grow them here. :cry: icon_thumright
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

The swamp /bald cypress has some pretty good buttress roots and in really wet conditions pushes up "snorkels" of vertical roots icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I hope they are planting them on the Somerset levels then. :roll: icon_thumright
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Gingko bilobae produces such roots called "chi-chi". If someone is patient and waits a few hundred years will have a nice jungle effect :wink:
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

dawn redwood is the only hardy tree I can think of that has them.