Are we safe yet?.

karl66

Are we safe yet?.

Post by karl66 »

I know the constant rain is driving people mad but the mild winter has its advantages for most member's!, my garden has never looked so lush in febuary, although I do need a boat at the bottom of my garden :lol: , we could still have a couple of damaging week's weather wise but I was out in the garden this afternoon & though how spring like it felt. karl.
otorongo

Re: Are we safe yet?.

Post by otorongo »

The first half of February is looking mild, anything beyond that is an unknown but the days are getting longer and the sun rises higher every day, somehow I feel we've been safe since 20 (or was it 21?) Nov 2013... in London that is.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

This time last year there was no indication that the Spring would be exceptionally long and cold ...

Weather lags behind the seasons, so temperatures continue to fall, and winter to deepens, even as the day lengthens. February is the coldest month ...

Forecasting more than 5-days ahead is just a guess and a gamble, surely?

I don't know whether the strength of the jetstream, latterly, is any sort of valid indication of what is to come - e.g. that continental blocking is not possible / extremely unlikely?

Have we ever had strong jetstream that has then broken down quickly?

(Have we ever had a winter this stormy? if not then maybe nothing to base a prediction on anyway perhaps?)

Only other thought I have had is whether, with all the storms we have had charging up the Atlantic, the sea temperature is warmer than normal? If so could that help insulate us a bit from serious cold weather systems?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

So far so good.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Blowing a storm here but will take that (just) over cold.....although it is actually feels bloody cold!

Cold is very likely in a normal feb BUT the extreme cold in the US is driving our winter this year so I reckon we will have more of the same.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The wind really is a worry at the moment.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

In a word, NO. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking at the charts today then I would say YES we are safe from 'our type of plant' killing cold. In fact the storms look to strengthen, with further flooding and high winds to come right through February. My polyhouse cover has been removed and all my plants are open to the elements.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Plants may be safe from an icy point of view, but these constant hooleys are playing havoc. Broken plants, pots, fence panels, bird baths, they've all taken a hammering....plus my wife bought a new snow shovel before Christmas and I've not had chance to use it! :roll:
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

flounder wrote:my wife bought a new snow shovel before Christmas and I've not had chance to use it! :roll:
Now this explains why the winter has been so mild... Please keep it, don't throw it away :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Think we might have to buy more as current trends are for cold and frost by the middle of the month. Date wise 14th feb onwards. Off to buy Another snow shovel in the hope this helps.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Paul Blight on UKWW was saying that the jet stream is now as strong as it was back in December and it has blown any cold over Scandinavia right back into Siberia.

I would like it to stay there, but also dry up a wee bit.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Just checked the bbc monthly forcast, it goes up to 9th march and it looks wet but fairly mild :D I might bring a few things out of the greenhouse for a bit of a blow if we get a dry day!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

It's looking much drier here from Sunday onward.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Some of my plants are ready now to see the sun and fresh air.