poor drainage

simonjohn

poor drainage

Post by simonjohn »

Hello my soil in one of my beds is very water logged. It has a fair bit of clay in. What can i do to make it better draining. I have an idea but i thought i would get some expert advice. Many thanks
Kristen

Re: poor drainage

Post by Kristen »

You could mix in compost, to keep the soil open, or sharp sand/grit to open it up, but in my experience the only thing that works well is a land drain. (Trench, put perforated drainage pipe [which comes on a roll] in the bottom, cover the pipe with gravel, backfill. The drainage pipe has to have an outlet, flowing away downhill, or a soakaway - and that probably needs access so you can pump it out in really wet periods - like we are having right now.
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

now that is a great idea! thankyou. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Before doing major work get a long metal rod and bang into the border to see if the drainage is impeded by something. I had a pan of compacted clay about 10" below the surface.... just below dig level. Once I realised that was the problem I was able to break it up without digging it all out. You also be surprised how much builders rubble impacts drainage.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by pdid »

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would do try a test pit first.
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

my who garden even the lawn gets very water logged. I dug the boarders out and dug down about 2ft and there is a lot of stones now I have turned it over. I dug a section out as an experiment about 2ft deep and filled the bottom full of stones and filled it back in to see how the rain effects that area now.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Maybe plant things that enjoy the boggy ground. Trying to radically change the composition of your soil is going to be a long and expensive process.
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

There is one corner where the ground is always boggy and i do plan on leaving that for boggy plants. Just want to sort out my south facing bed as its the hottest part of the garden. Thanks for all the kind advice :-)
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Has anyone used gypsum into their heavy clay soils, does it work to loosen up the soil to take in more water easily?