tetrapanax rex

simonjohn

tetrapanax rex

Post by simonjohn »

how fast do these grow in a year? i would like to buy a small one but if it will take ten years to get huge i may buy a larger plant :?
flounder

Re: tetrapanax rex

Post by flounder »

10 years? 10 months might give you a respectable plant from what I'm hearing
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

If a pup, then second year leaves can be 50cm wide+ and the trunk about the same length wise. It grows about 30-50cm per year for me. It is fast growing and well worth getting - it will be big by 3-5 years ad 10 years massive. It was one of the first tropical plants that I bought.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I Grew mine from seed in 2012 and planted it in the border last year, Not Bad i think, and i live up North :mrgreen:

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

grows between 1-3ft a year
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Deedee wrote:I Grew mine from seed in 2012
Really? I have tried them from seed lots of times, how did you do it?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This was mine last year and they all started from pups last year to, as i lost my growth point in the winter before.
Attachments
php0viD5aAM.jpg
phpcfwk8SPM.jpg
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Blairs wrote:
on a windowsill Blairs, the way i normaly grow seeds, seed compost and tray, Can't remember if i covered them in clingfilm but i followed the instructions, i bought them off ebay, i think i sowed 6 and only one germinated but that was enough for me. It grew bigger than the above pics and is still in leaf with this mild winter but not looking nowhere as good as the pics.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Deedee wrote:
Blairs wrote:
on a windowsill Blairs, the way i normaly grow seeds, seed compost and tray, Can't remember if i covered them in clingfilm but i followed the instructions, i bought them off ebay, i think i sowed 6 and only one germinated but that was enough for me. It grew bigger than the above pics and is still in leaf with this mild winter but not looking nowhere as good as the pics.
Great - you have also confirmed to me that they need light to germinate. I thought that germination would be similar as Fatsia seed. Am trying some steroidal giant seeds I bought off ebay.
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

Thanks guys. Deedee thats a lovely garden you have
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Just googled Steroidal giant Blairs, wow, I could fancy one of those in my garden, Good luck with germination this year but im sure you dont need it icon_thumleft

Thanks Simonjohn...