Dahlia planting.

jungle jas

Dahlia planting.

Post by jungle jas »

I've just taken delivery of some tubers from Van Meuwen, is it too early to plant them out yet? If so, when do you plant yours. Thanks. icon_thumright
fern Rob

Re: Dahlia planting.

Post by fern Rob »

I would pot them up now and put them in a greenhouse, get them going for late spring.
kata

Post by kata »

After the last frost J.J,

Being new wait till May. You can start them off indoors till then.

I left my BOL in the ground, I looked at the tubers yesterday they look ok.

icon_cheers
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I would leave starting the tubers until April. I start dahlia seed now though.

What colour did you go for? I tried leaving tubers in the soil but it is too heavy and wet here and they always rot.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thank you all for the advice. icon_thumright I went for Myrtle's folly supposedly shades of pink and yellow! :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have dahlia 'black narcissus', 'bishop of llandarff' and imperialis. I am very neglectful of mine and really should make an effort as the flowers are nice and rewarding.
kata

Post by kata »

First time I tried BOL and got many flowers, not keen on it though.

I like Dahlias small enough for a pot not climbers... :lol: decorative, doubles etc.

Sorry about the string but I lost sight of my green ties which now have found. Anyway it went way past that garage top at the finish.

How many flowers...about 10 in its first year which was last year.

icon_sunny
sunday18082013.jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

Blairs wrote:I would leave starting the tubers until April. I start dahlia seed now though.

What colour did you go for? I tried leaving tubers in the soil but it is too heavy and wet here and they always rot.
Agree with Blair's back end of March/ early April, that's when I'll be doing my dahlia and canna.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Plant straight into the ground in April. The soil would protect against any late mild frosts. Of course they can be started earlier under cover
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I find dahlia best in pots myself. slugs destroy the new shoots here.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Tried dahlias for the first time last year but didn't have a problem with slugs despite having a garden full! You must be overrun Mr L. Personally I prefer Cactus Dahlias, I find the others to uniform for my taste, but to each his own. icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I try and go for just mixed seeds.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Ordered a few exhibition ones this year as small pot grown plants for delivery May. Check out "Kenora Wow". "Indian Summer" was another I went for.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Have potted ours up as many had small shoots growing and I like to do them before they are big enough for me to knock them off :roll: .
Did the Cannas too;musifolia is going a bit mad this year :ahhh!: