Limp fatsia

karl66

Limp fatsia

Post by karl66 »

Got, load's of healthy fatsia of all varieties dotted around the garden, I have one that's letting the team down!, it's a bog standard fatsia that was planted last summer, it's got no leaf damage & nothing seem's to be eating it!, the colour is deep lush green but the whole plant is drooping :o , there's perfectly healthy photinia's either side although a few feet away I have a large magnolia grandiflora that's suffering heavy leaf loss?, I'm going to give them a bug spray tomorrow but I'm wondering now if it's purely down to soggy ground as these mentioned are quite far down the wet end of garden. Will they adapt to condition's or may need to be moved. karl.
The Codfather

Re: Limp fatsia

Post by The Codfather »

signs of to wet I would say....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

karl66 wrote: I'm going to give them a bug spray tomorrow
Never use sprays unless you have a clear proven need for them!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thank's, I realise you can't fight the water table but I'm thinking of adding something around the rootball area's to help soil dry out quicker?, any thought's....... silversand maybe or I may dig a small trench & fill with small gravel.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

karl66 wrote: I may dig a small trench & fill with small gravel.
Put a drain in? Easy to do if you have somewhere for the water to flow away to - downhill for example, or a storm drain ... or a soakaway as a last resort.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Move the fatsia and replace with a gunnera?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

do that gardeners world thing and build up the ground with stones so the fatsia is higher above the water line
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

The Magnolia leaf loss could just be the time of year, some evergreens lose a lot of leaves at this time of year but regrow them immediately. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have a small fatsia which has two main growth points. One point is all dropping but the other is fine!?...same plant so I dont get it?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My Fatsia is really healthy but droops in summer, its about 5ft but really needs removing from the garden and a replacement putting towards the back of the boarder.