cheap bird of paradise plants.

karl66

cheap bird of paradise plants.

Post by karl66 »

Were currently right up the north of Tenerife, the landscape is really lush, one thing that's caught my eye are 5/7 litre plants for five euro!!, not sure how well they travel though?. Karl.
fern Rob

Re: cheap bird of paradise plants.

Post by fern Rob »

Wouldn't you have trouble bringing it back?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have brought plants back from other EU countries with no hassle. Problem is handluggage as you cannot put it in the overhead compartment, so has to be stored at your feet. If too tall then no problem. If flying BA/KLM/Airfrance then you can normally store them at the front in the coat rack if the plant is tall- just ask the stewards, give a sob story if needed. Cheap airline you get no sympathy and may have to leave it if too tall. Make sure you are not sitting in the emergency aisle or row 1 where there is no underseat storage.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I think the Canaries are not in the EU, so you're technically subject to customs inspection, but then I've brought cuttings back from Brazil, Costa Rica etc. and told the customs about them and they didn't care... they were only interested in drugs, they took one vine out of my backpack and said "Hmm, this plant doesn't look like Cannabis, it's okay" :lol:
multim

Post by multim »

I really don't see why it's worth the bother in trying and bring something back just because of thrift. Especially if the plant in question needs to be brought indoors for 5+ months of the year.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

multim wrote:I really don't see why it's worth the bother in trying and bring something back just because of thrift. Especially if the plant in question needs to be brought indoors for 5+ months of the year.
In London it can grow outside year round.
multim

Post by multim »

I thought Carl lived in the West Midlands?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

multim wrote:I thought Carl lived in the West Midlands?
If it can be outside year round in London, it shouldn't need to be inside for 5 months a year in the West Midlands... maybe 2 months in the worst case?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

otorongo wrote:I think the Canaries are not in the EU, so you're technically subject to customs inspection, but then I've brought cuttings back from Brazil, Costa Rica etc. and told the customs about them and they didn't care... they were only interested in drugs, they took one vine out of my backpack and said "Hmm, this plant doesn't look like Cannabis, it's okay" :lol:
The Canaries are in the EU...

Exotic plants are also very cheap here in Malta, I was shocked when I first went into a garden centre!
flounder

Post by flounder »

Take it out of the pot, knock all the soil off, cut the leaves back, stick it in your suitcase and re pot it when you're home...shouldn't be a problem then. The problems start when you see a 5-6ft bismarckia for 40 euro in a garden centre in Torromolinos. Try taking that as hand luggage!
flounder

Post by flounder »

Nathan wrote:Exotic plants are also very cheap here in Malta, I was shocked when I first went into a garden centre!
When are you coming back home for a visit? :wink:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I will hopfully do a bit of plant shopping in the morning before we fly home tommorow night!, despite lack of sun at present , the top end of this island really would be a great place to live for exotic plant growers, so very different from the south of island. Karl.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I don't think you can move plants from Tenerife to the EU, without paperwork.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

fern Rob wrote:I don't think you can move plants from Tenerife to the EU, without paperwork.
It is politically in the EU, just not in the common economic area. You can take therefore plants back from Tenerife to the UK.
kata

Post by kata »

I bought a Hibi plant from the Tenerife plant shop, granted it was enclosed in cellaphane wrap at source.

Its EU.

:mrgreen: