White larvae in new growth of Lavender and Olive tree

greendragon

White larvae in new growth of Lavender and Olive tree

Post by greendragon »

I have lavender and an olive tree, recently the new growth has appeared stuck together. When I pull the leaves apart I find little white larvae within that have clearly been feasting on the leaves and causing the new growth to be all stuck together. What can I do to eradicate this menace and what is it?!

:twisted:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: White larvae in new growth of Lavender and Olive tree

Post by Dave Brown »

greendragon wrote:I have lavender and an olive tree, recently the new growth has appeared stuck together. When I pull the leaves apart I find little white larvae within that have clearly been feasting on the leaves and causing the new growth to be all stuck together. What can I do to eradicate this menace and what is it?!

sounds like Tortrix Moth larvae. They don't reach epidemic proportions, so no point in treating plants. The do this on a wide range of overwintered plants.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: White larvae in new growth of Lavender and Olive tree

Post by greendragon »

Dave Brown wrote:
greendragon wrote:I have lavender and an olive tree, recently the new growth has appeared stuck together. When I pull the leaves apart I find little white larvae within that have clearly been feasting on the leaves and causing the new growth to be all stuck together. What can I do to eradicate this menace and what is it?!

sounds like Tortrix Moth larvae. They don't reach epidemic proportions, so no point in treating plants. The do this on a wide range of overwintered plants.
I think you are right Dave they look exactly like them and I have just noticed they have done the same to a rosemary plant too. I just ordered bug clear ultra spray and I'm going to soak them in it. It sucks to have half the new growth deformed by these pests.