Dahlias again.

jungle jas

Dahlias again.

Post by jungle jas »

I potted up my Dahlias which are now sprouting, however I was left with some single tubers which broke off the main clumps when posted, will these grow if potted up or do they need a bit of the old stem which is where the Dahlias seem to be sprouting from. Thanks.
kata

Re: Dahlias again.

Post by kata »

Trying costs nothing J.J,

Compost and keep indoors a while..see what happens.

I put some Begonias in a pot, nothing yet.

icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

jungle jas wrote:I was left with some single tubers which broke off the main clumps when posted, will these grow if potted up or do they need a bit of the old stem which is where the Dahlias seem to be sprouting from
They won't grow, they need stem. I wouldn't waste the growing space potting them up.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Kristen, I thought that may be the case. However, ever the optimist I'll do a kata and plant them round the edge of the pot just to satisfy my curiosity. :lol: I seem to remember seeing someone on the telly cutting the stem down the middle to double up on the tubers, is this fact or was I dreaming. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ icon_thumright
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I always assumed you could chit them to form eyes for stalks, so bottom in damp soil lots of light for the thin top bit. Not tried it myself though.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

jungle jas wrote: I seem to remember seeing someone on the telly cutting the stem down the middle to double up on the tubers, is this fact or was I dreaming.
I've always managed to get growth on a tuber with the smallest hint of stem but never any luck with a tuber only.
kata

Post by kata »

Good luck J.J

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are no eyes on the tuber, only on the stem, so unless you have a tiny piece of stem it is a non starter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

Thank you all for the input. icon_thumright