Tree id

rufc15lizzie

Tree id

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Good evening all,
I saw this tree in the grounds of Loxley garden centre. It had lovely gnarly red bark.
Any ideas what it is?
Attachments
rsz_20180520_132255.jpg
rsz_20180520_132240.jpg
rsz_20180520_132248.jpg

Re: Tree id

Post by GREVILLE »

Santa Cruz Ironwood tree. Lyonothamnus Floribundus Aspleniifolius. What a name, but what a tree!

Native to some small islands off the coast of California. I had one for many years. It grew too big for its spot and I kept having to prune it. I decided to transplant it. Big mistake. It struggled to reestablish itself and couldn't get past the 2010 Narnia which I'm sure it would have had I left it alone.

Bought it from Architectural Plants.
rufc15lizzie

Re: Tree id

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Thanks Greville
Never heard of it and yes what name, I'll never remember that one.
I am surprised if has survived in Sheffield.

The garden centre used to sell all the plants you could find in it's grounds but has been taken over by a chain. A shame I never spotted it before.

Tree id

Post by chainsaw kid »

What an interesting looking tree, OK for a big Jungly garden, is it evergreen? icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
GREVILLE

Tree id

Post by GREVILLE »

It's a real looker from top to bottom so don't hide it in a jungle - make sure it can be seen.
Blairs

Tree id

Post by Blairs »

Lovely tree. It seems to vary with hardiness limits: web says beteeen 35-20f, which I assume is partly due to maturity of the tree and location, dryness etc.
rufc15lizzie

Tree id

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Yes i think from the look of it, it may have suffered during certain winters over the years it has been there. You can see where branches etc may have died and then the tree has resprouted from somewhere else on a branch etc, its a very bizarre shape.
But the location it relatively sheltered.