ID if possible please

Jmillar

ID if possible please

Post by Jmillar »

I got two of these at Homebase a couple of months ago. I did not keep the label.
They have doubled in height in that time & are very pretty at my front door.
I got them because it did say they would be ok in low temperatures & I live in Scotland.
I have ordered some fleece in case we have a severe winter.
Can anybody tell me what they are so I can read up about them? I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Attachments
20180904_093245.jpg
20180904_093151.jpg
chainsaw kid

ID if possible please

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi, JM, a sideview would be nice, if you ca get down on your hands and knees. :wink:

Welcome to the forum. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Jmillar

ID if possible please

Post by Jmillar »

ķ
20180904_120052.jpg
20180904_120113.jpg
20180904_120052.jpg
It is very kind of you to take an interest.
I don't know if these will help.
The sun has gone from the front door, & only snaps with my phone.
Thanks again
Attachments
20180904_120123.jpg
tatter

ID if possible please

Post by tatter »

Hi JM welcome to the forum they look like Yucca =Jewel . Not sure how hardy they will be in Scotland.
Hardy to about -1c I think
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Jmillar

ID if possible please

Post by Jmillar »

Thank you!
According to local folklore, we are in for a bad winter because the rowan trees were weighed down with berries.
So will cosset them.
Will post in the spring if they survive.
I am already very attached to them!

I am in SW Scotland, which is supposed to be warmer, but it never feels so. It rains a lot, so every day I tip out the water from the saucers underneath the pots, which have stones in the bottom.
Best wishes
chainsaw kid

ID if possible please

Post by chainsaw kid »

I always take an interest in the Sottish weather and am appalled at just how bad it is. When I moved to Wales I was concerned it may have been wet, but compared to Scotland its paradise! My partner worked with a Scot who took early retirement and moved back to Scotland. His son went back with him and is so dismayed he tried to run away and had to be brought back by the police!!!!!! :shock:

That being said I have seen some lovely pictures of tropical gardens in S W Scotland so it can't be all bad. icon_thumright

The Kid.
tatter

ID if possible please

Post by tatter »

I would also remove the saucers from beneath the plants and raise pots off the floor using pot feet or similar this will allow better drainage and reduce waterlogging posablities.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Jmillar

ID if possible please

Post by Jmillar »

icon_study
Will read them up.
Thanks to you both.
GREVILLEAJ

ID if possible please

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, JM icon_cheers

Confirm you have Yucca elephantipes "Jewel". Not as hardy as the type. (My old specimen was unprotected and unscathed from the "East Beast".) You should get away with a brief dry frost, say -2c but daytime freezes will ruin them unless you have facility to take them inside. As indicated earlier, wet soil and freezing conditions must be avoided.

If left to grow inside overwinter, there is a tendency for the leaves go lax and and you will lose the rigid sturdiness of leaf you now have.
Jmillar

ID if possible please

Post by Jmillar »

Long story short. Did not do very well with fleece cover in a plastic greenhouse over the winter. It was not even all that cold.
However just wondering what the dark green new shoots at base of plants are
I am leaving them outside this winter but will use the fleece if temperature really low.
Any advice would be welcome
Thanks
chainsaw kid

ID if possible please

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi J,

Firsty sorry for the delay in answering this I've been a bit busy. icon_scratch ,As I cant see the shoots it is impossible for me to say but they may be shooting from the base! However long term I suspect those plants are not viable were you live. My advice is have a walk or drive round your area and se what's growing, Then plant something that someone else is successful with. If you are stealthy enough and you see something you like you can dig it up when no one is looking. :lol: :wink: Only joking. icon_pirat

The Kid.