Yucca id please

Volksman999

Yucca id please

Post by Volksman999 »

Can someone please help me id this yucca bought from an ex-Homebase store in Milton Keynes.
I bought it in June and planted it out immediately. It has grown about 100% since then and I love it but don't want to lose it if its tender. My own guess is that its an Elephantipes but we have already had a couple of nights of -1C and its still looking good so maybe not.

Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
tatter

Yucca id please

Post by tatter »

HI yes it is a yucca elephanipes "jewel" homebase sold a lot of them this year
classified as half hardy. can take light frost. Can stand winter outside in very sheltered city gardens or in pot against south facing wall.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Volksman999

Yucca id please

Post by Volksman999 »

Thanks. Thats really helpful. Im in the midlands (Northampton area) where it can get pretty cold and, as you can see, its nowhere near a wall so I think I'd better get it up, pot it and bring it indoors for the winter. Thanks again.
GREVILLEAJ

Yucca id please

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Confirm that is Yucca cultivar 'jewel'. You've grown that well. You have a real 'gem' there. (Sorry!) Tatter's right that it is half hardy and if you want to keep it in the same spot it is tough enough to be dug up, potted and overwintered inside and then rested till the following spring. If you want to keep the strong sturdy leaf arrangement through the winter it will need the brightest and coolest spot you can give it and spare watering. A frost free conservatory would be perfect. A north facing centrally heated room will give weak, lax growth and spoil the plant's present good looks.