Palm Help & Advice Please

Colchester Lee

Post by Colchester Lee »

This Palm which is approximately 1 foot in height has been in its current position in the garden for 12-18 months without issue. Today upon inspection I discovered that the new growth from the centre had died and it came away from the plant without effort.

Do I have a big problem with this Palm and can it be saved?

Prior to this discovery I was considering moving it to a pot to make way for a new planting scheme which I have planned. Should it be moved/potted, left where it is or is it a hopeless case?

Many thanks in advance

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20190515_124757.jpg
IMG_20190515_125059.jpg
IMG_20190515_125139.jpg
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

A little hydrogen peroxide diluted with two to three times in volume with water can be poured into the hole where the spear pulled. This should stop any rot inside but you often have to wait some time for a new spear to come through and then you'll know that all is well. If the growing point inside is still live this will protect it from succumbing to rot.

That looks like Chamaerops with the little suckers on the side. If you lose the spear on the main stem the rest of the suckers should grow out but it again will take a little time before they become the size of the parent.
Colchester Lee

Post by Colchester Lee »

Thanks GREViLLEAJ
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Lee if I were you I think I would pot it on as you intended, as Grev said if it doesn't come again from the top It should come from the bottom. Just take s much root as possible. Good luck. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
charliep

Post by charliep »

I wouldn't be too concerned, my small ones I grew from seed are now 10 years old and have all spear pulled every year except this last, they have always looked fine by mid summer and I am hoping they will grow out of it as they get bigger, its disappointing nothing worse!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Colchester Lee

Post by Colchester Lee »

Thanks Kid
Colchester Lee

Post by Colchester Lee »

Thanks Charlie