yucca gloriosa variegata help

shanks60

Post by shanks60 »

hi, my yucca flowered last year and this year the head has split into two branches, noticed that there are 4 pups sprouting from the ground around it, I want to lift them and plant them up in pots and grow on, never done it before is it viable to lift without damaging, someone I spoke to said they don't do well being lifted, thanks in advance

heres the head splitting too
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

My mature one has behaved similarly over the years and whether I have lifted pups with or without roots and taken head or stem cuttings, the results have very uneven.

As you have four to play with I would try a number of options. If you carefully check any that have roots then take one now. Don't try to grow them on in late summer.

No roots, then try a cutting. Dry the end first be fore rooting in something with good drainage.

If you want leave them to get bigger and take new plants in late Spring you could also try and bury the bottom of the pup in something gritty supported and contained by stones or bricks to encourage rooting before lifting.

Whatever you do, keep a record of any successes or failures and post the results. icon_thumright
shanks60

Post by shanks60 »

thanks and will do