Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Post by Delboy »

That's a lovely Palm, it definately looks different to standard. It looks more compact.
What a steal it was too.
Last edited by Delboy on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Here you go, a couple of closer shots of the foliage...

Very 'powdery and very small stiff...reminds me very much of my Trithrinax.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Exactly the same as mine Kev. The whitish undersides are not small hairs (tomentum) but a powdery / waxy substance. Will take a pic of mine later and post here if thats ok. I only have one other smaller chammy out of about 10 / 15 or so chammies that have this type of underside. They certainly are a welcome difference to all my others but i've never considered them a different variety but thats not to say yours or mine aren't tho, i simply don't know.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Here's mine Kev (they could be twins )................
DSC03529 (Copy).JPG
DSC03534 (Copy).JPG
underside...........
DSC03531 (Copy).JPG
I put the compact form down to growing conditions. Here's the same palm after i dug out from a cardiff lady's house in May 2009. Note how much longer the petioles are. Hers was a much darker , enclosed garden whereas mine is very much open and lighter. I think mine has reverted back to shorter petioles due to more available light.

may 2009....
Chamaerops.JPG
Chamaerops.JPG (83.35 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
Here's the smaller chamaerops that came with it with same whitish underside..........
DSC03536 (Copy).JPG

On checking my recent B&Q acquisitions , even some of those display the same whitish underside.....
DSC03538 (Copy).JPG
In my totally unexpert opinion, i don't think ours are "stella" but just a slight variation of a standard chamaerops but much welcomed variation. From what i've read, "Stella" has fine white hairs on the underside and not a powdery wax. I don't consider the look of mine to be any different than the underside of my T. priceps............
DSC03537 (Copy).JPG
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

cordyman wrote:Could they be argentea

http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_info.php?id=1096
Having just googled images of Argentea i'd say no. Argentea is very silvery on top and below and i don't think Simba's or mine bear any resemblance but thats just my opinion.
Simba

Post by Simba »

The undersides are very much alike.
Infact the only noticable difference is the leaf and petiole size, but as you say, this could be due to previous growing conditions.

I have found these 'stiffer' leafed palms to be tougher in general (also thinking here of Waggies, Trithrinax & Brahea etc), so I think these could prove to be good do-ers for us.... icon_thumright

BTW - Blimmin' cracking 'Dig-Your-Own' you found there...
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Did the lady in Cardiff know that you`d dug up a Palm in her garden Arlon? Or is it just something you do on a regular basis? :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Andy P wrote:Did the lady in Cardiff know that you`d dug up a Palm in her garden Arlon? :lol:
For legal reasons i can't comment............... :lol:
I also can't comment on the 2no Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that came out with it.............. :lol: :lol:
Simba wrote:The undersides are very much alike.
Infact the only noticable difference is the leaf and petiole size, but as you say, this could be due to previous growing conditions.

I have found these 'stiffer' leafed palms to be tougher in general (also thinking here of Waggies, Trithrinax & Brahea etc), so I think these could prove to be good do-ers for us.... icon_thumright

BTW - Blimmin' cracking 'Dig-Your-Own' you found there...
[/quote]

Whatever they are Kev, they're both nice palms to be enjoyed. A little different from the others which makes it all good. I only paid £30 for mine and that was with two nice Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's and the smaller chamaerops, i ain't gonna grumble. :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Well I did a 'Dig Your Own' at the weekend, and came home with a cracking Chamaerops...

Excuse the quality, pic taken on my mobile....

Chamaerops Humilis & Cerifera, Yucca Linearis & Trithrinax Campestris

It's a lovely big bushy chammy, exactly what I wanted to complete this arid style area of Cerifera, Trithrinax & Linearifolia....
I just hope it settles in, as I hear they can be a bit temperamental when it comes to transplanting... :?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

WOW!!!! icon_salut
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Very nice! Look like it belonged there.

;)
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Looking great Simba icon_salut Well worth 'Dig Your Own' at the weekend jolt.....
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Another nice buy Simba, fits in a treat too icon_thumleft
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Ooh what a lovely plant! Absolutely love it! :D