Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Nigel Fear

Re: Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Post by Nigel Fear »

Simba wrote:Thanks so much Di, you have made me blush.... :lol:

But yes, this will be my 3rd year of exotics, and in truth I am out of space, in what I had considered to be a reasonable sized garden.
I now know how small my space is compared to other folk.

So I have raised the suggestion of selling up, so that we can move to a house with a larger garden.... :wink:
You'll need a big greenhouse and all, at the rate you're going...
Not to mention a big pay-rise. :lol:

Love that C. circinalis, it'll really look great swaying in the breeze anywhere on your patio. icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nigel Fear wrote:You'll need a big greenhouse and all, at the rate you're going...
I am thinking about putting a conservatory style roof across teh patio alcove Nig, you'll know where I mean.... icon_scratch

I reckon that could act as a summer hot house.... :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Just an update of how my ferns and shade plants are doing....

Podophyllum, well even those these are all supposed to be "Spotty Dotty" they vary wildly..

Podophyllum "Spotty Dotty"

Some are hexagonal or round, but there is one with deep fingers, that stands a good 6" taller, and I found today it has come into flower...

"Spotty Dotty with ruby flowers"

Fatsia "Spiders web"

This has bounced back from winter tremendously well, and not only putting out lots of new growth, they actually now have the distinctive white mottled pattern of Spider's web, whereas before it just looked varigated.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Helleborus "Pewter" & Pulmonaria "Leopard"

This is my one remaining Hellebore.
I have been hugely disappointed with all my other foetidus varieties, as every single plant has shrivelled away like this "Westerflisk"..

Is there a known Hellebore virus doing the rounds...??

In recent weeks I have lost 3x Pewter, 2x Westerflisk and 1x Gold Bullion in exactly the same way.... icon_scratch

But this was a much better result.

Fatsia Polycarpa
Loads of new growth on this one, I am tempted to plant it out in a sheltered position.
dino

Post by dino »

That Spiders Web is a beauty Simba. I got a small one from Akamba and can't wait for it to grow. Are they just as fast as regular Fatsia?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

That's quite sad about your Hellebores Simba.

No problems up here with mine. Mind you, I can't see my pewter form any more because of the plants growing up around it.

Your polycarpa looks great. My needham form survived the winter and growing again, but it is tiny.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Adam D wrote:That's quite sad about your Hellebores Simba..
It has me puzzled Adam, cos I had them dotted all about the garden, yet they all suffered exactly the same fate.
Could it have been a virus or green fly...??

Never harmed any of my non-Foetidus varieties though... icon_scratch
Simba

Post by Simba »

Well I had to scrap Bob's tropical island idea due to lack of space, but did get a good compromise from 'Er indoors about relocating the whirly line...

So this morning, I laid a decorative circle, where my ol' Duchess can have a sunbathe sipping her pimms... :lol:
Attachments
P6040251.JPG
P6040253.JPG
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That little circular paving looks neat,and I can't see where you've relocated the washing line to... then again, who wants to see your smalls hanging out? :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nigel Fear wrote:who wants to see your smalls hanging out? :lol:
Or whats hanging out of my smalls.... :ahhh!:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Simba wrote:
Nigel Fear wrote:who wants to see your smalls hanging out? :lol:
Or whats hanging out of my smalls.... :ahhh!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: lets not even go there Simba! :ahhh!:

I thought you'd lost a lot of neighbouring shelter plants, that lot at the back seems to be offering a lot of protection. [2nd from last picture.]
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

the garden deserves a icon_cheers .....it looks fab. icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Love your garden, everything looks so healthy icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

Nigel Fear wrote:I thought you'd lost a lot of neighbouring shelter plants, that lot at the back seems to be offering a lot of protection.
Both neighbours on either side have cut back to a bare minimum, so no protection there, but neighbours across the back have a row of conifers, apple and eucalyptus trees which gives excellent shelter.

Nothing lasts forever though, and sooner or later, someone will come in and hack the lot down... :evil:
Steph

Post by Steph »

Thought I was the only one with neighbours like that, mine don't even like anything hanging over the fence.
Gave the T-Rex some manure yesterday............