Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Simba

Re: Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Post by Simba »

Kristen wrote:
Simba wrote:To be fair, the space I have available is only 10ft across x 6ft deep, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze much in there anyway... :roll:
Except ... when you remove/open-up the wall behind that 6' deep area would just be the glazed front and the the garage behind would add another 15' or so I expect wouldn't it? :lol:
It would have done mate, but that is now a Vespa area..
icon_thumright
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Do it ! :D

Very tempted to to do something similar here .... we have a traditional edwardian terrace property, and been thinking about extensions / loft conversions etc. to add value to the overall property .... mad keen on those types of extensions where you have a wall-to-wall set of collapsing patio / french doors ..... opening the full extent of the ground floor out to the garden ..... until we got the quote !!!! suffice to say it would likely be cheaper to move house :shock:
Simba

Post by Simba »

Well I am just going to settle for a small pergola instead....along with an L shaped brick built bed beneath it, which will be planted with a large Cycas revoluta, some small palms and flowering climbers.

I think it will look really nice as I see it in my mind's eye..
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Simba wrote:I think it will look really nice as I see it in my mind's eye..
Mine too. From memory its South facing? Pergola will give you some shade to sit under, and I don't think you have in your garden?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Finally got my Chamaerops 'Stella'.....blimey it weighed an absolute ton, dragging it through the garage and across the patio...

But this will be one of the features in a new brick built arid bed that I will be building, and at £25 quid one of the best bargains I have found..... icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Simba wrote:Finally got my Chamaerops 'Stella'.....blimey it weighed an absolute ton, dragging it through the garage and across the patio...

But this will be one of the features in a new brick built arid bed that I will be building, and at £25 quid one of the best bargains I have found..... icon_thumleft
i need more local nurseries with bargains like that!!!! love how much trunk its got, yet how compact it remains, what a cracking palm (just for mike LOL) drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Amazing palm...and the price is unbelievable !!! icon_salut
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Nice reminds me of a pineapple. You get some super bargains Simba, you seem to be in the right place at the right time icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

What a bargain, looks very similar to one i have in size and look. .......... icon_thumleft

Whats the difference between Stella and the standard Chammy ?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's a beauty! £25 is a steal.

Are you going to make the brick bed self contained or will the roots be able to dive down into the ground below the bed?
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Your better at bargain hunting than me Simba :shock: I would of bought it even if i had to carry it home myself :mrgreen: Its Belta..
When you starting your pergola and raised bed? Im looking forward to seeing the step by step blog on that, i love makeovers icon_thumleft
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Nice palm Simba icon_salut at a superb price icon_salut
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Gorgeous plant and what a bargain! Will be nice to see how your new bed transforms :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thanks for the positive feedback HTUKers, its what sets this site apart from the rest.
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Whats the difference between Stella and the standard Chammy ?
Apparently "Stella" has the same origin as Vulcano, but is a more bluer type...I dunno how valid that is, but it definately looks different from the standard Humilis though.
GoggleboxUK wrote:Are you going to make the brick bed self contained or will the roots be able to dive down into the ground below the bed?
Self contained beds, built directly onto the patio to maximise every inch of planting space that I am allowed...

I am thinking of one being an arid type bed with this Chamaerops, and a couple of choice Yucca Linearis and Rostrata.

The other bed, a larger L shape, will have a Cycas Revoluta, flanked by some small palms, but they yet to be decided.... icon_scratch
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Simba wrote:Thanks for the positive feedback HTUKers, its what sets this site apart from the rest.
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Whats the difference between Stella and the standard Chammy ?
Apparently "Stella" has the same origin as Vulcano, but is a more bluer type...I dunno how valid that is, but it definately looks different from the standard Humilis though.
Any chance of a close up pic of the underside of a leaf, are they more whitish ? I'd like to compare it with mine as both look identical