Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Simba's Blog - Frosty Mornings & Sunny & Shady days

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That is stunning! You have to sell her that idea.

Would she be more amenable to additional guest space? Perhaps you could develop a design plan for brick Cycad beds that house pull out guest beds beneath them and have rolling privacy shades on the glass that can be used on occasion of guests staying over?

That glass house would look incredible with a tiled mosaic floor, is she artsy/craftsy at all? Maybe the thought of designing and laying a unique tiled mosaic would give her food for thought?:

Simba

Post by Simba »

cordyman wrote:love the white painted brickwork simba, how often do you repaint? what brand?
Its "Devon Cream" masonary paint.
I only buy the shed's own brand, and I think I have only had to do it twice in about 7 years... icon_thumright
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Plenty of used conservatories on Ebay - this one looks similar to your ideas http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/used-conserva ... 3a7e262b94
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Simba wrote:
cordyman wrote:love the white painted brickwork simba, how often do you repaint? what brand?
Its "Devon Cream" masonary paint.
I only buy the shed's own brand, and I think I have only had to do it twice in about 7 years... icon_thumright

thanks mate, having to repaint every 1-2 years put me off, but twice in 7 years!!! wow, the rear of my house is definitely going white this year, instant tropical feel drunken_smilie1
Simba

Post by Simba »

You can get allsorts of nice colours to make you feel all Carribbean.... icon_sunny
Simba

Post by Simba »

Could become a lovely bright glass room, ideal from some brick built Cycad beds.

Somehow have to convince Mrs Simba.... icon_scratch

Nope - This project is a non starter, 'er indoors doesn't like it, called it ugly & crappe....oh well... :roll:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Gutted for you Kev, that would have been a great addition to your garden.
Steph

Post by Steph »

What about just a roof?
Check out verandas on google, there are some interesting ideas.
I want one myself......
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

how about a pergola, with a thatch/willow roof?
Simba

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Gutted for you Kev, that would have been a great addition to your garden.
To be fair, the space I have available is only 10ft across x 6ft deep, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze much in there anyway... :roll:
Steph wrote:What about just a roof?
Absolutely Steph, that was my original idea, but I over elaborated it a bit too much.... :oops:
cordyman wrote:how about a pergola, with a thatch/willow roof?
Yes to a Pergola, that will probably happen as I already had the back up plan to show her...but I will have glass or similar for the roof... icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Simba wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Gutted for you Kev, that would have been a great addition to your garden.
To be fair, the space I have available is only 10ft across x 6ft deep, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze much in there anyway... :roll:
Steph wrote:What about just a roof?
Absolutely Steph, that was my original idea, but I over elaborated it a bit too much.... :oops:
cordyman wrote:how about a pergola, with a thatch/willow roof?
Yes to a Pergola, that will probably happen as I already had the back up plan to show her...but I will have glass or similar for the roof... icon_thumright
be interesting to watch the progress if you go ahead with that! I'm craving a pergola for the decking but would like lots of light to get through, whilst rain proof to sit under icon_study
Simba

Post by Simba »

Sounds like glass panels in the roof would suit you ideally then Cordy.... icon_thumright
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Hi Simba, please could you let me know how your unprotected brahea faired last winter and this one?? I remember seeing your photo of it covered in snow. Thanks, paul
Simba

Post by Simba »

I don't have any recent pix of the Brahea Paul, but it was fine after last winter, didn't spear pull, and pushed out some new foliage.

It's looking alright now too.... icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Simba wrote:To be fair, the space I have available is only 10ft across x 6ft deep, I wouldn't have been able to squeeze much in there anyway... :roll:
Except ... when you remove/open-up the wall behind that 6' deep area would just be the glazed front and the the garage behind would add another 15' or so I expect wouldn't it? :lol: