Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Gogglebox's Garden Blog: The Temple of Light

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Trudytropics wrote:
Ste wrote:A nice big fancy stone sun dial would look great infront of the ruin. Some nice pics here that would go well with a ruin http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stone+ ... 24&bih=600

I'd imagine due to Goggles meticulous geometry, with the correct celestial alignment, he won't need a sun dial or a clock :lol: The Temple of Kukulcan has nothing on this icon_thumleft
It's funny you should say that Trudy, in the last week while it's been gloriously sunny I've noticed I can tell what time it is by how many shadows the columns cast on the back wall. :lol:

I've got plans for the 2 Kneeling Buddhas to sit in front of the temple and ther'll definitely be more planting going on. The space I've left in front of the 2 centre columns will have Passiflora and grass in to climb and spread (I've done one already) and I'll be hiding Alocasia pots behind the lower sections of broken wall either side as well as dotting Cycas Circinalis and revoluta about in that area too.

There'll also be bamboo, Phormium, Fatsia and Cordyline going at the right side and trailing Heucherella tumbling down from the planters on top of the outer columns.

More internal dressing to come with plants too.

;)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It looks different in the evening light so I thought I'd take a pic. The electrics should be finished soon, although the electrician doesn't know what day he'll be back this week :roll: , so it will be interesting to see how to looks with the headlamps on.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hey Goggle, been following your build for some weeks and very impressed, i like garden structures as much as plants.
Years ago,very rich victorians ?, used to build all sorts of structures like grottos or ruins of churches and stuff, they used to call them follies i think. Anyway they would create a bit of theatre or drama in the garden and were only limited by imagination.

Your temple reminds me of those and i congratulate you on what you have done, it looks great!
As an aside my local patio supplies centre was selling sort of kits of ruins like an arch with a door made to look all tumble down for about £3000 :shock: that were not as good as yours icon_salut
Keep it up icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Andy, that's very kind of you to say, much appreciated.

;)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

When you say headlamps gogs, do you mean spotlights and accent lighting? when my lights are on at night the garden has a different atmosphere, flippin lovely :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Deedee wrote:When you say headlamps gogs, do you mean spotlights and accent lighting? when my lights are on at night the garden has a different atmosphere, flippin lovely :mrgreen:
If everything works as planned then the flourescent strip lighting in there shouldn't be visible from out in the garden area and just the glow from it will illuminate the inside and make silhouettes of the columns in front.

However, if it doesn't then I have 2 plug sockets where I can wire in accent lights and play around with different coloured bulbs to get the right effect.

;)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

just think goggs,a few seats in the front and you have your own theatre. with a stage like that i can see a wicked punch and judy coming on icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Deedee wrote:When you say headlamps gogs, do you mean spotlights and accent lighting? when my lights are on at night the garden has a different atmosphere, flippin lovely :mrgreen:
If everything works as planned then the flourescent strip lighting in there shouldn't be visible from out in the garden area and just the glow from it will illuminate the inside and make silhouettes of the columns in front.

However, if it doesn't then I have 2 plug sockets where I can wire in accent lights and play around with different coloured bulbs to get the right effect.

;)

Ahhhh, its going to look awesome Gogs, can't wait...

ps, have you sorted the rest of your garden yet, ie made room for more plants, the heuchera and brunnera are ready to post, but if you have nowhere to store them for now ill hang onto them untill you do, the red dragon is coming back up so it will be a couple of weeks for that, as its so fast growing you will get a good show this year..
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:lol: at Red, the whole build has been a Punch & Judy show mate!

Dee, Thanks but until I get all the build finished there's far too much stuff clogging up the rest of the space so a couple of weeks will be absolutely perfect for me.

I'm literally falling over scaffolding planks, tools and cement mixer whenever I try and do anything else and I'm really looking forward to relocating all the potted stuff into their usual nooks and crannies to see how much room I have left.

;)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

im being serious for once :lol: a great setting for the childrens parties icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

No probs Gogs... Planting, the best part, no matter what structures or hard landscaping you have in your garden its the plants that makes it breathtaking, One of my sisters has had her garden landscaped, a beautifull conservatory, yorkstone circular patio amongst other things but no plants! she's scared of bees and wasps :shock: how bloody sad is that :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I don't know about sad, I think that's hilarious! :lol:

If I was her I'd be making a biodome or something similar out of mosquito netting, there's no way I could live without plants in my garden, they're the focal point.

;)
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Gogs, if you haven't already seen this, there's a kids programme I'm obliged to watch once a day called Zingzillas. There are several jungly set-peices, some of them look obviously indoor studio-like, but there is one I find quite impressive. It kicks in on the video link at about 2:50. As your temple is progressing it's reminding more and more of this. As you're talking about lighting, I thought it might be of help. The planting is not too bad either and could be replicated with similar hardy stuff.

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice! Orange lighting certainly would look great.

Is that bloke what you'd call a kiddy fiddler? :lol:

:oops: Sorry, couldn't resist that one
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Nice! Orange lighting certainly would look great.

Is that bloke what you'd call a kiddy fiddler? :lol:

:oops: Sorry, couldn't resist that one
:lol: I'm sure he had to go through a rigorous CRB check.

The vid doesn't show the best of the set-piece, unfortunately. There are plenty of ruins that seem to be off-camera here. The programme is on CBeeBee's about 8am everyday if you want to check it out for a better idea.