Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tropical Bob

Re: Gogglebox's Garden Blog: The Story so far.....

Post by Tropical Bob »

:lol:

Nice plants!! icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Had another delivery of plants today including laurels, C. Cerifera, Fatsia Japonica, Zebra grass and a Lakemount grape vine to run over the arbour.

No chance of getting anything done today though, far to wet but nice and warm with it. Should do the plants the world of good.

I'll be cracking on with converting the box room into an overwintering space instead, got some racking to put together.

Mext dry day I'll be elbow deep in soil.

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Did a bit of planting today once the wind had dropped.

Got my Trachycarpus in the ground, it looks great but lost about 30" in height now it's out of the pot.

Put both my other palms (are they Waggies or Washies? I can't remember) in the pot:

Had my Cerifera and a Fatsia delivered. The Fatsia was bound up so tightly it was like undoing a knot! It'll need a week to recover its shape.

Planted my Sasa Palmata in a pot to keep them contained

and put a Musa Basjoo in each of the raised beds

Still got a fair bit of planting to do but I just put them in place for now and will do that in the (forecast) sunshine tomorrw instead.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Coming on Goggle. I think those tall skinny pine tree's would look good in your place, like in italian gardens........can't remember what they're called..cypressus icon_scratch
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Looks like washy's.............looks god icon_thumleft

Is there enough room for the Trachycarpus its looks close to the fence.... also watch the weather for that musa....don't get caught short icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Coming on Goggle. I think those tall skinny pine tree's would look good in your place, like in italian gardens........can't remember what they're called..cypressus icon_scratch
These?

Not sure I'd have room for them Arlon although I could have a few in pots down the right side once I've finished training the kiwi vines. Hmmmmm......

:D
kata

Post by kata »

skinny pine tree'
Love columer trees!

Expensive but certainly puts Leylandi in the shade.

:lol: :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The Codfather wrote:Looks like washy's.............looks god icon_thumleft

Is there enough room for the Trachycarpus its looks close to the fence.... also watch the weather for that musa....don't get caught short icon_thumright
I wondered about that myself CF. I've dug the hole for the Trachycarpus down and under the paving, it's got a 4" cemented lip so I was able to get the rootball under fairly easily. There's about 6-7" either side of the trunk before it hits anything and if it grows towards the sun then it will come into the garden as it gets bigger. Should be OK I think.

I'm keeping a close eye on the weather and if there's a frost forecast they Musa will be lifted and brought back inside. I'm fairly confident we've seen the last of it now though.

Fingers crossed!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Not sure I'd have room for them Arlon although I could have a few in pots down the right side once I've finished training the kiwi vines. Hmmmmm......
yep but smaller and in some nice terracotta pots. Might consider some for myself.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

After reading your suggestion I googled Italian Garden and, wow, there's some impressive pics on there.

This really caught me eye:

Weird thing is, I recently saw a garden where someone had wrapped a 10' fencepost with chicken wire and was training ivy up it. It was about 2/3rds of the way up and it looked exactly like an old italian marble cloumn in a courtyard.

I've been mentally playing with the idea of making a wooden elongated goalpost shaped frame with 3 or 4 uprights and trying to do the same thing between my patio and the upslope in my garden to create an ivy covered temple entrance sort of thing. Pots of English Ivy at the base of each upright to grow up and across the whole frame.

Imagine this buried in ivy and you'll get the idea:

I'm now thinkling about lopping down the leylandii and doing it at the back of the garden, creating a small rectangular courtyard between the stone beds and the fence. If I moved the arbour back and put a couple of those Cypress pines either side it would look stunning. Recaimed sandstone flags, a couple of small olive trees.....

drunken_smilie1
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

i grew a few from seed a few years back , and once they get there roots settled in they grow quite quick, less so in pots so easy to keep clipped.
kata

Post by kata »

Ivy icon_scratch icon_scratch

Noooooo Before you know it it will be all over the garden, climbing all the plants but its your garden Goggle. I can think of nicer plants for climbing.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I know it can be a problem, it's absolutely rampant around here and covers many of the neighbours fences.

I've kept it at bay for the last 7 years or so and if I go that route it would be fairly easy to keep it going in the right direction, especially at the back of my garden. Once it reached the back fence it could hop over and play with all its friends.

:lol:
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

That would look great, real Lara croft tomb raider stuff :D

Those italian trees fit in quite well with tropical plants, this is why i need a lottery win icon_cheers http://kensington-properties.com/en/pro ... Spain#pict
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi you have some lovely plants there googlebox :wink: All my plants are in the conservatory.Didn't think you could put them out yet.Will have to start getting some plant pots now and get them out.