Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: My Garden Project UPDATE 9/09/11

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks superb! VERY jealous of your greenhouse!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Well done Del icon_thumleft , not surprised you are happy, you have achieved alot in a short space of time, it was a real mess before, but now you have a lovely space to spend time, make sure you get full use of that greenhouse :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well done Del Boy!

I can see why you are chuffed. You've done a lot of work and the garden looks fantastic.

It can only get better as well so here's to 2012!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Read this from start to finish Delboy, Wow, what a transformation, love your pegola style raised beds and your greenhouse looks great there. Massive well done from me and imagine what you will achieve next year icon_thumright
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Looking good mate. :D
Ste

Post by Ste »

Delboy, how long did it take to put the greenhouse together? Was it fairly straight forward?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Hey everyone thanks for the kind words, really do appreciate it. icon_cheers
@ grub, cheers that's a really kind offer, unfortunately it's been years since I drove thru Oxford but if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I would definitely take u up on your offer.

@ Ste, it took 2 of us 7 hrs mate and was a bit of a mare. The instructions may as well of not been included they were that bad. We wanted to get it right 1st time so didn't rush and I think now we have built it once we could half the time. It's a 2 man job tho. Also the bolts snap very easily so I think u would need a new set every-time u took it down, they are very cheap poor quality.
For me I would say it would b too much hassle to keep taking apart.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well not much to update as very little has been done for obvious reasons.

Since this last update i have been busy buying plants and have quite a nice collection on the go just waiting to be planted.

My favourite addition arrived last week, but i have only today got around to photographing it.

A George waggie,
16-2-12 aged 9yrs (Medium).JPG
P2057872 (Medium).JPG
P2107889 (Medium).JPG
P2107898 (Medium).JPG
I could of got bigger for less money from ebay germany, but decided Georges would be a better buy in the long run.....glad i did now, this one is stunning.
Last edited by Delboy on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

is that his biggest ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

A bit bigger, 35L
I emailed him to ask if he had anything bigger.
This has a 50cm fat trunk, and is 150cms not including pot.

I have no idea if it is bigger than the £90 ones lol, but he seems a good guy and i was VERY happy with it.

It was £110 btw.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Looks very healthy icon_thumleft
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

awesome palms .... looking to get some mature Trachycarpus's / palms this year, may give George a try .....

Looking forward to seeing the garden in full swing this year buddy .... great transformation, and I'll bet looks awesome this year ..... maybe some time to sit in it and actually enjoy rather than hard graft ! :wink:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers mate. Getting there slowly.
It was so bad when we moved in it was embarrassing, now although it is looking bare at least you can see something is happening, and it is at least tidy.

I have a fair bit of stuff to go in this year, which although some are small right now in a few years it should look good.
I made a list earlier of what i have in the greenhouse,about 50 plants so far, amazing how it adds up buying in the winter sales.

I still have some hard landscaping to do, some parts of the garden were rushed a bit and just filled with annuals or plants left by previous owners. The beds are now empty, so i can't wait to fill them.

I still want some big bamboo, its just so bloody expensive.
I have nice but VERY nosey neighbours, so i want bamboo higher than the 6' fencing to make things more private.
I have my eye on some Golden bamboo, just gotta see how deep my pockets can go lol.

Expensive game this gardening malarkey.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Seem to have missed this before, but it's not too late to say well done! What a great garden you've created & in such a short time! I love that greenhouse! I really need one for seeds in spring & I think it would be ideal. How sturdy is it?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Jo A P wrote:Seem to have missed this before, but it's not too late to say well done! What a great garden you've created & in such a short time! I love that greenhouse! I really need one for seeds in spring & I think it would be ideal. How sturdy is it?
Mine is very sturdy. As long as you put plenty of clips in the polycarb panels are fine too. I made the mistake if not putting enough clips on and had a door panel blow out. Now i have a clip about every 8 inches and they are solid.
The frame feels quite lightweight but once bolted together it is sturdy. I had the base plate too which bolts to the ground, then the greenhouse bolts to that.
It wasn't much fun to build mind, took 2 of us about 6 or 7 hours.

Thanks for the kind words btw.