Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Feb 2011 to Jan 2013

Post by Delboy »

Tom2006 wrote:Mine started to grow a few weeks again and then just disappeared!? icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
Thats weird, mine started to show ages ago, then stalled a little and now they are growing at a great rate.
Ive counted 7 so far, only had 4 or 5 last year lol. One has been munched on tho, not sure what likes these as havent seen the culprit and i havent had a problem in the past, but its definately been fodder for something :evil:

Found some bites out of my lilly's this mo, turned the leaf over and there they are, 2 lilly beetles humping away.
At least they died enjoying themselves!!

My biggest Musa is growing well, the 2 smaller ones i bought before crimbo in a sale are doing nothing at all. All are potted so maybe they would be better in the ground, just need to sort a suitable space out.

Looks like its going to be another lovely day here, im lucky the sun has decided to make an appearance whilst im on a few days off. Cant beat sat under the pergola, sun shining, sipping a nice cold drink and just having a potter now and then drunken_smilie1
In reality i have a 2 year old that wants entertaining, he loves to dig the garden so im on edge all the time. A 3 legged cat thats constantly under my feet and a wife who keeps pegging washing out ruining my view.

Oh well, beats working.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

3 foot Tree fern is just bursting, cant wait...
IMG_0796.JPG

My 5 footer has thrown out 3 distorted fronds, but nice big chunky ones are close behind them and my 2 footer is ready to burst too. Looks like all that rain last year has helped.
Attachments
IMG_0778.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Delboy wrote:3 foot Tree fern is just bursting, cant wait...
IMG_0796.JPG

My 5 footer has thrown out 3 distorted fronds, but nice big chunky ones are close behind them and my 2 footer is ready to burst too. Looks like all that rain last year has helped.
looks good del!

have you though about painting that fence black? the whole border would really pop then icon_salut
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Considered it last year, but if there's one job I hate it's painting fences.
I'm hoping to eventually have them hidden anyway so I doubt they will ever be painted again.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Thats a healthy looking Dicksonia antarctica, bursting full of new croziers.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The Dicksonia antarctica looks healthy, I think its all the rain last year.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks Steph icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

fern Rob wrote:The Dicksonia antarctica looks healthy, I think its all the rain last year.
It definately helped. Hardly had to water it which was about the only good thing about last 'summer'.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Del, you must live in a mini micro climate!, my fern's are nowhere near that advanced & i'm lucky if two small coziers are showing there heads :shock: , although mine have been moved about a lot. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Tbh Karl my garden doesn't even look like we've had a winter.
I've had some crappe temps and loads of snow but everything recovered very quickly.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Took a 15 min spin round the garden today, only a camera phone so quality not the best but you can see where im at and whats growing. Its a bit shakey, and sadly the sun wasnt shining :evil:

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Delboy wrote:Took a 15 min spin round the garden today, only a camera phone so quality not the best but you can see where im at and whats growing. Its a bit shakey, and sadly the sun wasnt shining :evil:

love the hostas at the start, what varieties are they? also what is the bamboo looking climber above the table?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

The verty first hosta you see were from homebase last year, think they were called gypsy rose, grown loads in a year.
I have about 20, most i have labeled but a few the labels fell off over winter so im waiting till they are all in leaf and then got to work out whats what lol.
I bought most from bowden hosta back in early 2011, only tiny bare root plants when they arrive, expensive for the size BUT they have some really unusual ones and everyone has done well. They will just get bigger and bigger every year. My Uncle has some over 20 years old, in huge pots that are stunning.

I have 2 plants above the table the fatshedera (big ivy like leaves) and clematis armandii (bamboo like leaves)
I picked those as they are both everygreen and will in time mingle together and keep out the nosey neighbours :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Looking superb Del, your hostas are well ahead of mine and your ferns are looking amazing too.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I still have some only just poking thru the soil. Some are earlier risers than others, i find they are much earlier in pots but then i do overwinter them dry in the kids playhouse :lol:

Ferns are all picking up, i find even the evergreen ones look crappe after winter but they are really coming on now.