Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cordyman

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Spring garden video 17-5-13

Post by cordyman »

I do adore that seating are with the brushwood roof drunken_smilie1

Double cordy with trunks right next to each other is interesting, and everything else looks ready to lap up all this sun icon_sunny
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yeah that was my first purchase from seagrave back in 2011. I ordered a single trunk but received this double.
It's grown loads, only thing is they are leaning away from each other hence the tie around them. Not sure it will work, may have to chop down the smaller one.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Such a lovely garden, it looks great
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks lovely icon_thumleft

how long has the Dicksonia antarctica with the really wide fronds been in the ground?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Super pics, Del. Not enough.....want to see more :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mr List wrote:looks lovely icon_thumleft

how long has the Dicksonia antarctica with the really wide fronds been in the ground?
The fern down by the Trachycarpus was planted 2011, all the others were 2012.
The one with the scorched fronds was lifted from under the pergola last year after about 3 months in the ground, put in a pot ontop of about 3" of compost and stayed In the greenhouse.
I Planted it out around march time, fronds burnt in the first bit of sun we had and will be cut off soon.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

GREVILLE wrote:Super pics, Del. Not enough.....want to see more :lol:
I took over a 100, so I could bore you rigid lol.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow Delboy, your plants are looking lush, love the pergola, even tho we can't see it all in your pics that doesen't matter, it looks tropical with the screening, I love it and the rest of your garden, great choice of plants as well. your garden is like mine, immaculate :D i can't stand mess or long grass either...
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks Dee, i do like a tidy garden, but having 2 boys means lots of toys are usually scattered about, plus sandpits, swing, slide and more ride on cars than toys r us. I hide stuff as much as i can for photos lol.

I love my pergola, gives some much needed shade and its a lovely place to sit and eat.
Last edited by Delboy on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Delboy wrote: i do like a tidy garden,
Its immaculate, even with children icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks Nick, its the kids garden as much as mine so i let them do what they want as long as my plants dont get damaged, it means i have a good 30 mins of tidying up every night, but i dont mind really, they help me with the watering :mrgreen:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Delboy wrote:they help me with the watering :mrgreen:
AKA slave labour........... :lol: :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

So it's been a few weeks since I removed my bare root rostrata from its sand soil and gravel mix as it was on deaths door.
Since planting it in pure gravel is was really perking up and looks the best it ever has, however I've just noticed its going to flower, which i pressume isn't ideal for a bare root yucca?

Any advice?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Delboy wrote:So it's been a few weeks since I removed my bare root rostrata from its sand soil and gravel mix as it was on deaths door.
Since planting it in pure gravel is was really perking up and looks the best it ever has, however I've just noticed its going to flower, which i pressume isn't ideal for a bare root yucca?

Any advice?

Remove the flower spike ASAP.