Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Post by Delboy »

Ordered a Cerifera late Saturday night from the palm centre, it arrived today.

Chuffed to bits with it, such a beautiful palm the blue is just stunning and with a 29cm trunk and 80cm overall height (excluding pot) imo it was a great bargain at £25 in their 50% off sale.
1.JPG
2.JPG
And with wheelbarrow for scale :wink:
3.JPG
These have got to be one of the nicest palms going, would love a big one but I don't have space for this one so better restrain lol.

I'm leaving it potted now until next year as i'm not sure of its exact spot but i'm planning a bit of a move around so I will make space somehow.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Del, as you know I'm a big fan of cerifera, in my garden they are by far the hardiest chammy of the whole family & the fastest growing out of all my similar size chammy's, the monster cerifera I planted out a few months is really settling now planted out, also I have to say palmcentre's quality & service takes some beating!!. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

First time I've ordered from them but wont be the last, plant and service were spot on.

Glad to hear your finding it a tough one as we get similar temps. Bit worried about my Big chammie as its potted and got to stay that way. Guess its a case of wrapping the pot and keeping everything crossed.

That one you had is a stunner Karl, one of the nicest I've seen.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

To be fair del I don't think you'll need to wrap your big hummilis pot except in extreme temp's as I've found them to be real tough nut's!, just keep the pot as dry as possible when the first frost's start, chammy's are not greedy for water like Trachycarpus's & can still look healthy in a dry pot!. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

karl66 wrote:To be fair del I don't think you'll need to wrap your big hummilis pot except in extreme temp's as I've found them to be real tough nut's!, just keep the pot as dry as possible when the first frost's start, chammy's are not greedy for water like Trachycarpus's & can still look healthy in a dry pot!. karl.
I have put some plants around the base of the palm but ones that die down for the winter as my plan was to cover the top of the pot with a tarp or something to keep dry. I guess it would need to be another killer winter to pose a real threat. I have 3 small ones here and the last 2 winters haven't touched them lowest temp was -7.4 so normal winters really. Its the double digits we don't want.

Anyway enough cold talk still plenty of warmth left yet.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great buy, what is the growth rate on these palms?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Slower than Trachycarpus, but Karl is reporting good growth from his.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think I may plant one.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Garden looks great!.Looks very neat i must say. Couldn't see a weed anywhere :D
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

dorothy wrote:Garden looks great!.Looks very neat i must say. Couldn't see a weed anywhere :D
Thanks Dorothy, trust me I have weeds, they are hidden by plants :lol:
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

Your garden is brilliant del. hoping to do the same with mine.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Jay71 wrote:Your garden is brilliant del. hoping to do the same with mine.
Thanks Jay, looking forward to seeing some progress pics as you plant up.
It's amazing how quick stuff grows you will soon be running out of space lol.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Love the cerifera delboy, it looks great right there, the surrounding plants brings out the intensity of the blue leave's (or is that fronds) brilliant icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Deedee wrote:Love the cerifera delboy, it looks great right there, the surrounding plants brings out the intensity of the blue leave's (or is that fronds) brilliant icon_thumleft

Yes that was pure accident lol, it was put there out of the way but like you said the blue really jumps out so I may plant it next to the small cordy, just infront of the waggie.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Dorothy, trust me I have weeds, they are hidden by plants
:lol: :lol:

I like that new palm DB, and its Itching to be planted if that caudex is anything to go by.

icon_cheers