Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Dels Garden Project UPDATE 21/05/12

Post by Delboy »

Well my Garden is now just over a year old so i thought a few updated pics would be good.
Looking back at the original mess the previous owners kindly left me im hrilled with how its all going.

In the few hot days we had in March i built a covered pergola from the back of the house, it is 14' x 10' and gives some much needed shade. It just needs a few finishing touches but im very happy with how it looks. I also planted quite a bit, and luckily everything seems ok.

Today i have had a good tidy up, roped the wife into cutting the lawn and i also added some screening to the fence at the bottom of the garden.

Anyway, pics.....
1 (Medium).JPG
2 (Medium).JPG
3 (Medium).JPG
4 (Medium).JPG
5 (Medium).JPG
6 (Medium).JPG
7 (Medium).JPG
8 (Medium).JPG
9 (Medium).JPG
10 (Medium).JPG
Delboy

Re: My Garden Project UPDATE 9/09/11

Post by Delboy »

11 (Medium).JPG
12 (Medium).JPG
13 (Medium).JPG
14 (Medium).JPG
15 (Medium).JPG
16 (Medium).JPG
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

17 (Medium).JPG
18 (Medium).JPG
19 (Medium).JPG
20 (Medium).JPG
21 (Medium).JPG
22 (Medium).JPG
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

icon_scratch i cant see an Edit button? anyone help lol.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Your garden looks great Del, can't believe it's only a year old, everything looks very well established and healthy.

If EDIT isn't in the top right of the post next to QUOTE then try a forced refresh (Ctrl + F5). If that doesn't work changing to the Light version of the theme in User Control Panel> Board Preferences.

;)
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Project.....one year old. UPDATED

Post by Delboy »

Cheers Gog,
Changed to the light theme and now EDIT is back icon_salut

Everything has grown really well. Other than the Choiysa that is behind the waggie everything else was planted from March onwards 2011.
I am still needing some height in my main border, i have a few boo's but they are not very big. The big Dicksonia antarctica should look good once fully fronded, but right now there is too much fence for my liking.
I quite fancy sticking a tall Trachycarpus/waggie in there, but that will be next year. I may buy some more climbers too, hide some of those panels.

I still have a corner to tidy up as it is currently the dumping ground. Not decided what to do with the area yet icon_scratch
The wife had the washing out and kids toys everywhere otherwise there would of been a lot more pics lol.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

The pergola looks brilliant Del, doesen't it feel great sitting under it? i love the brushwood (i think thats what it is) over the top, someone on another forum has plastic sheets over hers, an idea for winter maybe, i might try it icon_thumright Im planting 2 grapevines up mine tomorrow icon_cheers can't wait..
Your plants look much healthier than mine, ive given them all a feed and hope the promised warm weather helps.
Its hard to believe your garden is only a year old, it looks more mature. I love it icon_thumleft some great palms there, sorry i can't name them all! i just wish i could grow them :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's exactly how I felt one year in, add some height and hide the fences.

I went for a quick fix with bamboo screening down one side and planted laurels on the other but I'm still waiting fo them to fill out and I'm a year or more on. Did get a bargain with 3 good sized Trachys though. If you want height I'd advise you to resist buying all season and save your money up. Some decent ebay haggling and sales scouring will bring you way more for your money at the end of the season.

;)
flounder

Post by flounder »

I like the pergola thing, worth considering here, maybe.
Its coming along a treat so a pat on the back methinks icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

Delboy wrote: I am still needing some height in my main border, i have a few boo's but they are not very big. The big Dicksonia antarctica should look good once fully fronded, but right now there is too much fence for my liking.
I quite fancy sticking a tall Trachycarpus/waggie in there, but that will be next year. I may buy some more climbers too, hide some of those panels.
Looking good Del, filling out nicely.

Nanas, cannas, Ricinus will give you quick height for little money icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks DeeDee, well Today was the first time I could sit under it since the build due to the bloody rain.
Now I need a better patio set tho lol.....more expense!
It is brushwood on the top, it was perfect for what I wanted as I was just after some light shade.
I planted most of my stuff in march, it was a gamble but my greenhouse was chocca so I had no choice.
Everything looks great, it was very hot today so after all the rain I'm hoping stuff will now rocket.

Gogs, yeah I bought loads of stuff in December, it was all cheap as chips so will definately be doing that again.
I keep checking eBay in the hope of finding a local tall Trachycarpus for sale ( a dig it up jobbie) but no luck so far they are all way too far away.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

flounder wrote:I like the pergola thing, worth considering here, maybe.
Its coming along a treat so a pat on the back methinks icon_thumleft
Cheers, it was only a days build and not too expensive as I built it all from scratch.
I can't wait to sit under it scoffing and boozing the summer away.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

pdid wrote:
Delboy wrote: I am still needing some height in my main border, i have a few boo's but they are not very big. The big Dicksonia antarctica should look good once fully fronded, but right now there is too much fence for my liking.
Looking good Del, filling out nicely.

Nanas, cannas, Ricinus will give you quick height for little money icon_thumleft
Thanks mate,
I have about 6 canna growing happily away in the greenhouse, plus 2 Ricinus altho one is looking iffy.
I need some nana's, a nice clump of basjoo would be perfect.
I also have 2 t-Rex, one in a big tub and I may bite the bullet and plant the other in the ground.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looking really good. Especially like the pergola. icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers Kris icon_thumleft