Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Spring garden video 17-5-13

Post by Delboy »

Thats what i was thinking but thought id better ask first lol, thanks Kris thats a job for tomorrow.

Back to the blog, a few pics taken this evening, unfortunately the sun had gone in.
Summer bedding plants are doing crappe, everything else is great.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
Attachments
9.JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Deffo best orientation on the table and chairs!

This pic is great, so much crammed in! what is the pale white/silver plant on the right?

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

cordyman wrote:Deffo best orientation on the table and chairs!

This pic is great, so much crammed in! what is the pale white/silver plant on the right?

[ Image ]
Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger', its everygreen and looks just as good in winter. I took 2 cuttings earlier in the year and both took ive just planted them in the front garden......free plants icon_cheers
Highly recommend it, just make sure you have provado or something as greenfly love it, but mine only gets sprayed the once then its fine all year.
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Summer 23-06-2013

Post by Delboy »

My Amulree Big Chamaerops Arborescens arrived 2 weeks ago, it was the day before we went on holiday so it was a case of drag it into the garden and leave it. It was much bigger than expected, at 107cm of trunk it was almost 30cm's bigger than advertised icon_cheers
However big plant = big pot, 160 ltrs and i only just managed to force it down the side passage and thru the gate, an inch bigger and it would of been living on the front drive :lol:

Anyway here is the palm in question, with a 40year old man for scale :wink:
cham1.JPG
cham3.JPG
After getting home on saturday afternoon and checking on the palm im pretty sure its not Arborescens as there appears to be some suckers making an appearance,looks like they were previously cut off just under the soil level :evil: :roll: ...sneeky.

Oh well, tbh its no biggy, im 100% thrilled with the palm for the money its was a friggin steal.

Now my plan was always for this palm to stay potted, however i never expected anything over 50-60 ltr so my original space was a no no icon_scratch .
A weeks Holiday, lying on the beach in sunny weymouth gave me plent of time to think about a space. I decided to go for a spot that has always been a problem area/dumping ground, so today i dragged it into postion and underplanted it.
Im really happy, as tbh i was worried it was too big but it fits the spot a treat and makes a crappe area look the bees knees.
3.JPG
8.JPG
4.JPG
Still needs some tidying in that area, but now i can work around the palm.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Took a few more pics whilst the camera was out.
The Yucca Rostrata is looking the best it ever has, its bare rooted so on reserves and it tried to flower which i cut off at Kris's advice. Now planted in pure gravel (thanks Arlon/Mark) it seems much much happier so im hoping it survives.

Cordyline is growing like crazy, its about 8' tall now it was about 3' tall when i bought it in 2011.
Only thing is its a twin stem so they are growing away from each other, im hoping it will sort itself out. After seeing these everywhere in weymouth last week i can't wait for mine to flower and branch out, forgot how lovely a mature cordy is.....none left round here, just one's that are shooting from the base.

The B. Lux is looking lush, about 4 1/2 foot tall now so not bad as this was a cutting from last years plant.
My original plant died back but reshot from the base but is only about 4" high.

My Gunnera is getting big too, it may need moving somewhere new soon, possibly behind my new Chamaerops once the area has been cleared.
The T-rex was at the back of the garden but struggling in full shade, ive moved it to that spot as it gets more sun, yes its potted and staying that way lol.

Oh and the coconut 'Bird house' was a £2 buy from weymouth, cant beat a bit of tack.
1.JPG
2.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looking great! Not tried Begonia Lux. Will have to get one sometime when I've got the structure sorted.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Just realised I didn't add this to my blog.

Also my T Rex has grown quite a bit this past week, its potted so not huge, the biggest leaf is only 26" but fits into the spot a treat.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

trex says: please release me, let me go...
plant it!! icon_thumright
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Mr List wrote:trex says: please release me, let me go...
plant it!! icon_thumright

Very tempting tbh Ken, but I only want the one plant in that spot so its staying potted.
I do have another that's potted and much smaller that may go in the border next year.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Brilliant Dellboy, when you first plant up your garden with tropicals you think wow, thats pretty good, then a few year later you think, God that is breathtaking, no-one around you has the same plants (not up here anyway) then when you compare before and after pics, you just can't quite believe how they survived, how big they got and how much they have changed your garden and life, they are just Amazing plants icon_thumleft Your Trex looks lush and a good size, i had one in a pot last year and it actually survived the winter, so i planted it in the border and here's a pic i took earlier today. Probably not much bigger than yours but hopefully next year it will be a monster :mrgreen:

further back.

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Your not wrong Deedee I have compliments everytime someone new visits.
People are amazed when they see the palm trees, and always comment on the big leave plants.

That second pic is just drunken_smilie1
That Rex will be a beast next year!
Delboy

Re: Del's Garden Blog: Summer 9-8-13

Post by Delboy »

Trimmed the Chamaerops Arborescens recently after seeing Dave do his, finally got around to taking a pic.
Also, decided to move the pine (its potted) into the main border to give the boo that was behind it more light.

Had quite a bit of growth recently, but rain trashed my lilies, my Rudbeckia are only just flowering, geraniums are disappointing compared to previous years and my Impatiens were planted too early and went down hill......so not as much colour as I expected.

(Clicky for bigger/better pics)
1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
2.JPG
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

This Trachycarpus was my first, planted early 2011, they really do sleep, creep and leap. Putting on loads of growth this year the trunk is fattening up a treat and its put on a good amount of height.

P2257001 (Medium).JPG
P2107901.JPG
5.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The tree ferns look healthy.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yes they sure have loved the heat and rain.