Mr List Blog - 9th year 2018

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Mr List Blog - 4th year 2013

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Just get rid of the lawn. Get a 40 quid bag of gravel, job done.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Mr List wrote:the thing that really pisses me off with the lawn is that when it was left to run riot with weeds and only mown like two or three times a year it was lovely and green and not patchy.

then I read some gardening books and did everything you are supposed to do to get a good lawn and it just ended up like that.

I am just waiting until I can find a good low growing carpeting plant and then the grass will be gone.

The garden is going to get more and more shaded with the jungle around so I reckon gravel too would be a winner! icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

gravel doesn't do the job for that area that I want it to do.

I want it to be plant/green space
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:gravel doesn't do the job for that area that I want it to do.

I want it to be plant/green space
You can buy green gravel. ;)
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

This goes against everything I believe a garden should be, but I reckon you should consider a bit of astroturf.

1. Would look so much better than mud
2. Won't require light, which is just as well as your superb plants are casting a fair bit of shade
3. Would be a softer surface for your cats, who might otherwise use gravel as a litter tray
4. Although astroturf is not real and there's therefore an opportunity-cost in green space lost, I think it would be very little due to how badly the grass was growing before.
5. It would still look green and you wouldn't need to worry about mowing to the edges where you have plants and bark chippings.
6. Being a fairly small lawn, it wouldn't cost too much as a one-off expenditure.

http://www.lazylawn.co.uk/lazy-turf.html
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

my friend has an artificial lawn and it looks good, to do it properly you have to lay down a sub base and top with sharp sand

they are really convincing nowadays and you can hose off the skids after you scoop up the cat poo :D
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I have patients , I will find a plant to go there someday.
Huddy

Post by Huddy »

spoken like a true yorkshireman icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Just get rid of the lawn. Get a 40 quid bag of gravel, job done.
Nice gravel costs more than that, it needs to look good when its in the centre of the garden.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Just get rid of the lawn. Get a 40 quid bag of gravel, job done.
Nice gravel costs more than that, it needs to look good when its in the centre of the garden.
Pea single can look ok but I think mr l has grander ideas.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

if you noticed in my pictures and videos the bottom half/fruit part of my garden is a gravelled area and while I like it for that area I don't like it for places where is doesn't need to be gravel
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mr List wrote:if you noticed in my pictures and videos the bottom half/fruit part of my garden is a gravelled area and while I like it for that area I don't like it for places where is doesn't need to be gravel
Im not fond of hard landscaping as I personally think gravel etc ruins the soil. Before the astroturf layer gets put down by the builders I'm going to put a protection over the soil, for if i ever lift the stuff and don't want it any more and also put protection around the tree ferns trunks, root area as I'm not allowing them to be concreted up too.