Kristen's Blog : Jungle Garden - Year 2 - Enjoying!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Kristen's Blog : Jungle Garden - Winter preparations

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I reckon this sums it up:

Looks great after one season, can't wait to see it mature.

icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Congratulations on producing a great tropical area. The ensetes have done really well for you. That machine looks the business for pulling up planted pots.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:That machine looks the business for pulling up planted pots.
For anyone else going down that route:

Tie some rope under the pots when you plunge-plant them - all bets are off otherwise!

Engine Crane needs to be on the shortest extension to get sufficient leverage. Mine will lift 250kg with jib fully extended, and 1 tonne with no extension.

Thus it needs some planning to be able to get the crane into position around the plant / pot. Easier said than done for my plants at the back of the border, had to remove some things at the front to get to them which, with better planning, could have been avoided.

Basic model from Machine Mart is £180, probably better deals to be had or used ones off eBay. The Machine Mart 1/2 tonne model is only be a fiver less ...

And then you need a gutsy sack barrow, with pneumatic wheels, to get it indoors. Wheel fell off mine which was blinking annoying. Have now put it back on with a Nyloc - wish I had done that from the get-go. Engine cranes available to hire for £40 for the day from HSS - but then you wouldn't have the benefit of it for your other projects :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

The annual Autumn update of my blog is done

I've added an "Autumn 2012 Tour", which I hope you will find useful (Direct Link)

Highlight, for me, was the planting of the Exotic Garden which then grew at an astonishing rate and most of which has been discussed here :).

We have also made a start on the Serpentine Maze, the Hydrangea Walk and the Fruit and Nut Walk. There are also updates on some previous projects.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

All looks great icon_salut
miketropic

Re: Kristen's Blog : My Jungle Garden Plot - Planting starte

Post by miketropic »

Love this underplanted with acers.

anyone have any idea what that white/blue plant is in the lower corner. Garden is looking fantastic Kristen keep up the good work..and start making plans to lift the ceiling in that conservatory
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Very interesting blog and great to see how the exoic areas have progressed in such a short time. Do you intend to keep the exotic garden mainly seasonal (summer/autumn) or will hardy exotic be planted as well for year round interest?
Kristen

Re: Kristen's Blog : My Jungle Garden Plot - Planting starte

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:any idea what that white/blue plant is in the lower corner
Cynara cardunculus ?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Do you intend to keep the exotic garden mainly seasonal (summer/autumn) or will hardy exotic be planted as well for year round interest?
Not sure icon_scratch

I have quite a few Bamboos in there, a couple of palms, and a few Fatsias ...

... looking out onto it, from upstairs windows, it is not THAT visible, but not very good looking either ... I might plant a "row" of hardy plants along the edge nearest the house to hide the [lack of!!] seasonal plants behind it.

I'll nip upstairs and take a photo from the Window in a minute.

EDIT: It does look rather bare, need to plant an all-season screen

Last edited by Kristen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen

Re: Kristen's Blog : Jungle Garden - Year 2 - Planting Out

Post by Kristen »

Moved the plants out of the conservatory. Had some help today, so today was the day, but it was cold last night (4.5C) and looking to be cold again tonight (5.5C at present) so not sure how much they will like having been just shoved outside ...

26-May-2013
03-Jun-2013

26-May-2013
03-Jun-2013 (The tree ferns were planted a few weeks ago :) )

26-May-2013
03-Jun-2013
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I thought the March of the Bananas looked a bit comical when I saw them through the window :)

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

March of the Bananas :lol:

It's looking great Kristen, your Tree Ferns look very impressive.
kata

Post by kata »

Yikes Kristen,

I envy you the space and all the plants look great.

Must have missed your blog and no time to look now but I will later.

icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks GB & Kata:)
kata wrote:I envy you the space
Yes, we are very lucky living in spacious countryside :)
Must have missed your blog
Probably because I tend not to update it very often ... surprising really given how much I waffle on!!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Musa sikkimensis, which I grew from seed two years ago, were pot-plunged last year so that they could be overwintered frost free for two winters, and I have now planted out-out. Plan to wrap them with chicken-wire + straw, or similar, this Winter (plus we are planning to revamp the conservatory, so not sure what, if anything, I will have next winter ...)

Have also planted out-out Cycas revoluta, 4 x 1' tree ferns and Chamaerops humilis (which have also been frost-free for last two winters)