Fieldfests Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fieldfest

Re: Fieldfests Blog-New Retaining wall/ Raised Bed

Post by fieldfest »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
fieldfest wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Any idea whats going in the raised bed yet ?
I got rid of all my yuccas for fear of a child losing an eye so nothing spikey,
My first thought earlier was "safe spikey's" e.g. beschorneria
for friendly spikeyness I have a nice multi headed cordyline torbay dazzler I am likely to put in there and maybe a yucca banana split
I've also got some cuttings on the go of aloe striatula, so that will probably end up in there in a couple of years
I love sempervivum and echeveria's so will no doubt be lobbing some of those in there with a few aloe aristata so i suppose visually it will look pretty spikey!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Are the sempervivum and echiveria hardy ?
I'm leaving a few holes in the fake rock in my pond project, wouldn't mind trying a few of those.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Are the sempervivum and echiveria hardy ?
I'm leaving a few holes in the fake rock in my pond project, wouldn't mind trying a few of those.
sempervivum are bone hardy
echeveria depends on what version you use, I have got hold of a load of hardy ones im currently rooting. ill send you a couple when they've started growing. those tiger lily seeds you gave me have all come up now icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i never have any luck with sempervivums here, they always seem to rot no matter how dry a position i try and give them.
rosette saxfriga provide a similar look and seems to work better for me.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Coming along nice FF icon_salut

I like your sleeper raised bed...It will all look great when finished & planted out icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

fieldfest wrote:ill send you a couple when they've started growing.
Thats very kind of you FF but thats a large raised bed you have to fill and i'd be happier to see that finished first. I only want a couple and i can easily pick them up at a local garden center. Thanks for the thought.......
fieldfest wrote:those tiger lily seeds you gave me have all come up now icon_thumleft
Great stuff. My bulbils popped in january and are approx 2inches high at the mo. The mum from which our bulbils came is just starting to show as well. I think on average, they take two seasons from bulbil to flower but you never know with a good summer you could be lucky. Either way, they are worth waiting for.

Here's "mum" last year with bulbils still attached...........
Tiger lily.jpg
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

check these bad boys out
291701_10151302895967131_1658284882_n.jpg
got them off local free ads, £10 each for a 6ft (inc pot) bird of paradise plant and an 8ft (inc pot) Phoenix canariensis_CIDP
had to dig them up myself mind. Had to cut a few fronds off the palm as it was too wide to bring indoors (all growing in a large greenhouse so dont want to put it out until it warms up)

Right old bargain, hope they survive the transplant!

the chap also had this in the greenhouse easily 12ft tall
ag.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow, they were a steal!

Good work!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

whats he doing with such a big blutty greenhouse? :shock: :shock:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

He's just started renting it. It was a tropical house for a rare breeds place next to ventnor botanic gardens that shut down a few years back, some really nice stuff still in there and a natural spring running through it!!!
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

There's still another Phoenix canariensis_CIDP available, not sure whether to risk it or not
cordyman

Re: Fieldfests Blog

Post by cordyman »

treat yourself! if its anything like the other you got, that is a CRACKING PALM! icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I would go for the lot !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Simba

Post by Simba »

fieldfest wrote:There's still another Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP available, not sure whether to risk it or not
For £10 quid...?
That's not much of a risk at all.... icon_thumright
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi just had a look at your blog.Very impressed and you work so quick! Can I borrow you :lol: