Fieldfests Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fieldfest

Re: Fieldfests Blog

Post by fieldfest »

this is gardening in slow motion, i got another hour of gardening in sunday afternoon, now I have this:
21nov2011.jpg
This really will take all winter to finish... :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

What are you making? a crop circle lol.

Should look good when finished.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looking much better icon_thumleft

how did you get the circle so 'perfect' ?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Mr List wrote:looking much better icon_thumleft

Tie string to the stick in the middle
Leigh
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've seen that Mel Gibson film Signs.

Be very careful when you open the pantry.

:lol:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Leigh wrote:

yep.

signs creeped me out, (shudder) i think ill head off to bed now you reminded me of that....
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Leigh wrote:

and then what?
how to mark it as you do that?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

You just wrap the other end of the string round the handle of a kitchen knife then do 2 laps, the second a cm or so further out than the forst. You then remove the V shaped piece of turf to leave the brown mud circle showing through the green grass.

You can mark out borders the same way using a laid out hosepipe as your guide. Get it positioned first then start cutting.

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Or just tie a can of line marking spray to the other end and walk round in a circle, then half moon edger to cut and lift.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i tied a washing line to my half moon edging tool right at the bottom of the shaft, its so fast to go round the circle, both hands on the handle,foot on the half moon bit pulling the line tight and plunging down, only takes a couple of minutes to do a lap of the circle, then lengthen the line a few inches and repeat, then use a mattock to excavate the channel.

next step is to move the magnolia then weedkiller the grass in the middle
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Can I suggest FF you leave a pole dead central in your circle bed and tie your lawnmower to it with a piece of rope. Sit back with cool drink and watch as your mower goes round in circles, your neighbours will be well impressed :lol: :lol:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

my slow motioin blog continues...

Pulled up the leylandii as have ordered a more pleasing replacement icon_rabbit
heres a silly video:

my boy wanted a go:
DSC_0826.JPG
DSC_0840.JPG
the keen eyed of you will notice the fork is now missing 2 prongs- must buy a better one now!
DSC_0843.JPG
DSC_0842.JPG
next job is to tidy these borders ready for the replacement red robins (quite small ones) which are coming this week from ebay, then get rid of the grass in the borders (currently yellowing after a douse of roundup)
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Wow that was a fast clip, blink and you miss it :lol: . Photinia red robin is an excellent replacement, hope it grows well for you Fieldfest, certainly much nicer than the dreaded leylandeii :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Trudytropics wrote:Wow that was a fast clip, blink and you miss it :lol: .
I ducked! Thought it was machine gun fire.

:lol:
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Right, Ive started a proper blog that can be accessed from the link in my signature. feel free to comment all over my blog if you find anything useful or informative on it.

it can be found here http://www.exoticgarden.co.uk. I bought the domain name then realised that Will Giles' website is exoticgarden.com- surprised he didnt buy this one too as any mistypes for his website will end up on my blog!

anyhoo, upcoming posts will include the planting of 50 hedging plants, how to make a homemade composter, edging a lawn with bricks and my ensete growth timelapse