My garden history!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fern Rob

Re: My garden history!

Post by fern Rob »

Western red cedar would look good.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Catching up here Springy, Love your patio and raised beds idea, The second pic would be my choice, contemporary and clean with loads of planting icon_thumleft Looking forward to seeing it finished..
Springy

Post by Springy »

Deedee wrote:Catching up here Springy, Love your patio and raised beds idea, The second pic would be my choice, contemporary and clean with loads of planting icon_thumleft Looking forward to seeing it finished..
So am I Deedee! If you could stop it raining for me, long enough for me to actually get out and do something! It rained heavily non stop all day here until it got dark and then stopped! icon_thumbdown I need to dig the footings for the raised bed near the fence. I hoped to have a go at it over the Christmas holidays but every time I had some spare time it chucked it down!

The second pic is probably more what I'm aiming for as I don't have the space for the wooden bench idea as I lose too much planting space! :cry:

Funny that I look up to your garden and hope that I can one day achieve your level of plant quality and neatness etc and you wish that your garden will look like mine in the future!
Someone must be right!! icon_scratch :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Great frost pics!

What is this palm in the top left? Butia of some type?

While you got the Patio up you can track down that T-rex :lol:
Springy

Post by Springy »

cordyman wrote:Great frost pics!

What is this palm in the top left? Butia of some type?

[ Image ]

While you got the Patio up you can track down that T-rex :lol:
Yes it's a Butia catarinensis but it's looking a bit sick at the moment! The new growth coming through is slightly greener so I hope it will recover! I don't know why but some of my palms have done this before but not to this level!

I have only lifted a few slabs at the moment and there are plenty of fleshy thick roots under them and if I don't get out there soon I'm going to have a T. Rex forest!!! :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Its resting

lurking...

lurking....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm also thinking of a Butia at some point a capitata though, they just seem so hit and miss icon_scratch
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

One of The reasons why i love your garden springy, are the curves, you can't see everything at once and you can "hide" sheds etc easily, where mine is square and you can see it all without having to leave the back door :mrgreen: Im stuck with the long path down the middle i suppose. Thankyou for the lovely compliment , this is what i love about HTUK we all appreciate each others garden designs and obviously the Plants that we all share the love of..
I hope the rain stops for you and you get on with your patio, im really excited to see it finished, hopefully just in time for spring icon_cheers
Springy

Post by Springy »

Well I've now managed to have a go at replacing the wooden planters on the patio with rendered blockwork. I have never laid a block wall before and had one experience of rendering!
It has taken at least 15hrs for just the two coats of rendering, let alone the blockwork. Talk about learning as you go along!!

I'm going to leave the walls to dry for a couple of weeks and then apply a masonry paint to match the house and outhouse.
I am after a 'rustic mediteranean' look to the planters so my DIY attempt should fit the bill perfectly! :shock: :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This planter still needed the final sponging down to give the finished look.
This planter still needed the final sponging down to give the finished look.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Also had the rare chance to take a photo from the rooftop as our neighbour is rebuilding our shared chimney as it's in a bad way!
Attachments
image.jpg
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

pretty nifty
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Looks epic that Springy! If I needed some raised bed i'd definetely copy your technique :lol: Imagine it will look even more top notch once painted!
Springy

Post by Springy »

cordyman wrote:Looks epic that Springy! If I needed some raised bed i'd definetely copy your technique :lol: Imagine it will look even more top notch once painted!
I'd recommend the technique that involves paying someone else to do it! :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would like to do something like this on my top deck once the building works finished, I plan to use sleepers as i gond want to lift or put concrete on my stone slabs, due to me changing parts of the garden every few years :lol: . It looks fantastic what you have done so far icon_thumleft .
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Garden looks great icon_thumleft
Springy Steve

My garden history!

Post by Springy Steve »

An update on the garden. After losing 4 years of blog after the website went down, there is a lot of progress made since then. Had to re-register as a new member again but it is me!

https://youtu.be/MFw7w6uKCos