My garden history!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Springy

Re: My garden history!

Post by Springy »

kata wrote:Its a beautiful garden springy,

Whats that Dahlia called?

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Thanks Kata. I have about 15 different varieties of dahlias so its hard to tell which one you are asking about. It could be the double orange 'David Howard' or the pinky star one which is honka Suprise or maybe the yellow with reddish centre 'sunshine' and the similar 'moonshine'?

I try to grow mostly single flowering dahlias more than the doubles as it is more beneficial to bees etc
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Springy wrote:
Delboy the tree is albizia julibrissin. Hardy here for the last three winters. Grows about a metre a year. I think it does need the shelter and extra protection from a house wall though. icon_salut
Cheers for the ID icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Springy wrote:Time for an update!
Family BBQ today so its garden photo update time!
Started with rain when I took these pics but the day improved into the afternoon! icon_thumleft

Wow Steve, your garden is PACKED!!! really top drawer stuff, every pic in that update is jaw droppingly exotic! :shock:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Very lush and tropical looking, I always love to see the difference a few months makes. icon_thumleft
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Just read this thread from the start and I take my hat off to you springy icon_cheers .
Fantastic design and plant choices.
So many plants to add to my growing list.
I've taken your garden as a bench mark to go by and if it turns out half as good I'll be well happy.
Only started the exotic side of gardening this year with a few cannas, hedychuims, Ricinus
Look forward to many more update
Springy

Post by Springy »

Mowgley wrote:Just read this thread from the start and I take my hat off to you springy icon_cheers .
Fantastic design and plant choices.
So many plants to add to my growing list.
I've taken your garden as a bench mark to go by and if it turns out half as good I'll be well happy.
Only started the exotic side of gardening this year with a few cannas, hedychuims, Ricinus
Look forward to many more update

Thankyou for your kind comments!
I hope you have plenty of funds Mowgley as once you've got the exotic bug your garden will eat money! icon_thumright
Sounds like you are on the right track with cannas, ricin etc. I started by growing loads of annuals and planting them in groups in between the hardier plants. You can then add evergreen structure as you go along, fatsia, trachycarpus, phormiums, bamboos etc!
You'll have a great advantage with being on this site in the fact that most people will point you in the direction of quality suppliers of plants at good prices rather than spending a fortune at overpriced garden centres, although you can get the odd bargains there if you are lucky!

Have fun creating your "piece of paradise" icon_salut
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Awesome Awesome garden Springy..

This Pic WoW...

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I like how the garden flows.
Springy

Post by Springy »

I think I crammed a bit too much in this year. I like the garden to be full but this year it was full to bursting point.
I had a clear out of a lot of the annuals last weekend and have taken 16 large compost bags full of plant material to the tip! That's even before cutting down all the dahlias, cannas and gingers!
After having it all so full up its now nice to see it clearer and uncluttered.
Every year I look back and think that I won't go so mad with my planting in spring but then spring comes and I hate seeing any bare patches of soil so I cram it full again! :roll:

I won't do it next year! :wink:
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

The funds aren't limitless but I have a few must have plants.
I.e. Tree fern, cycad, musa basjoo, brugmansia, another tracycarpus , butia,
I'll grow all of the annuals myself.
I'm the same hate bare soil, you can never have too many plants :D
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Springy wrote:I think I crammed a bit too much in this year. I like the garden to be full but this year it was full to bursting point.
I had a clear out of a lot of the annuals last weekend and have taken 16 large compost bags full of plant material to the tip! That's even before cutting down all the dahlias, cannas and gingers!
After having it all so full up its now nice to see it clearer and uncluttered.
Every year I look back and think that I won't go so mad with my planting in spring but then spring comes and I hate seeing any bare patches of soil so I cram it full again! :roll:

I won't do it next year! :wink:
Garden look's great in the vid Springy icon_thumleft, I'm a big fan of the packed look but then again my gardens pretty small so not so hard to achieve.
Think maybe more water would help for your Nana's mine only get chick poo but plenty of water and the P stems alone are a good ten feet, don't think I spotted your B edulis in the vid how's it doing, mines suffered a bit this year as it's been shaded out by other stuff
Leigh
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Hi just done a catch up on your garden.it looks brilliant :D I know what you mean about overdoing the planting. I did the same this year. By the time everything grew, it was so full, the plants looked so cramped together, that you could not really see them properly to appreciate them.Month or so ago, I took quite a few out and it looked loads better.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks peeps! :D
Leigh I agree with the lack of water on the bananas. Growth is really slow compared to other gardens on here. I have really free draining soil which is good for overwintering things but not so good for thirsty plants.
The Brahea edulis spear pulled two years on the trot and never recovered. I am growing a similar sized one in a pot which will be planted out next spring.

Since having a clear out I am really happy with the original trachycarpus fortuneii that was pretty much the first plant that was planted in this garden 4yrs ago. It came from my last property and was planted at my mums garden for a while until we moved in here.
It's put on some good growth this year. icon_thumleft
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

ws that in the lower left corner with the pink stems?
Springy

Post by Springy »

miketropic wrote:ws that in the lower left corner with the pink stems?
Mike it was a euphorbia pasteurii. I took it out at the beginning of spring this year as it had just got too big for the space. I was reluctant to remove it as it looked really good. They don't transplant too well at that size in my experience.
Attachments
image.jpg