Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Daft question but how did the water get in the bin? Is it in the lowest part of the garden or are there holes in the side of it for the water to pass into it?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

great sump action pdid!

I think when he fitted it Kris it has holes in the side, and bin placed in wettest part of garden.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Daft question but how did the water get in the bin? Is it in the lowest part of the garden or are there holes in the side of it for the water to pass into it?
link to some details earlier in the thread:
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 09#p357409
pdid

Post by pdid »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Daft question but how did the water get in the bin? Is it in the lowest part of the garden or are there holes in the side of it for the water to pass into it?
Yeah as Cordy and Kristen alluded to, the bin is in both the lowest and wettest part of the garden. I picked the bin up off ebay for a tenner and set about drilling holes in the side. I also dug a trench, sloping gently toward the sump, pretty much the full width of the garden filled with drainage pipe and gravel then covered with grass.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I have a sump which is just come concrete pipes (I'm guessing 9" diameter) which are mounted vertically in the sump hole, dry butt jointed, and surrounded by gravel / stone. I can drop a pump into the pipe (there is a circular "manhole" type cover on the top) if I want to pump it out. Water pours in between the joints when I do that! Could have a sump pump permanently plumbed / wired in, if it have a float switch.

Need a sump pump brand with the outlet on the top, not a side-exit one, for minimum width. Mine needs lots of width for the float switch too :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

excellent work!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Kristen wrote:I have a sump which is just come concrete pipes (I'm guessing 9" diameter) which are mounted vertically in the sump hole, dry butt jointed, and surrounded by gravel / stone. I can drop a pump into the pipe (there is a circular "manhole" type cover on the top) if I want to pump it out. Water pours in between the joints when I do that! Could have a sump pump permanently plumbed / wired in, if it have a float switch.

Need a sump pump brand with the outlet on the top, not a side-exit one, for minimum width. Mine needs lots of width for the float switch too :(
The draper one I have has a float switch so could be permanent fitting but that's only the second time I've used it since installation. Like you say it needs a fairly large sump to work properly and wouldn't empty as much as the manual method does, I think the bin would be ok with it though.

I would have gone for concrete if I had the funds at the time but this was a fairly cheap and cheerful solution and does the job intended.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Surprisingly hard to find online prices for concrete pipes, the only one I found was £50 (excluding VAT I presume) for a 300mm x 2.5M which I guess is plenty long enough, probably too wide, and could probably do with being in at least two, shorter, lengths to provide one or more butt joints for water to flow in through (although I suppose if it is sat on a gravel bed the water will find its way in from under the pipe).

Not much help really, and a second hand wheelie bin is cheaper ... they didn't exist when mine was constructed, and concrete pipe wasn't 50-quid-a-go then either!