Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fern Rob

Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, All
The blog won't be on the public forum for long :lol:. I will be documenting my renovation of the walkway down the garden that I will be constructing throughout 2013. The blog will also incorporate many posts of my Tree ferns progress in the garden plus my other exotics.

Hope you will all enjoy and comment.
Rob
fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, A few pictures of the garden, the first one this summer and the second in the winter.
The lawn that I am removing looks ok on picture 1 but it died and has been layer twice this year, so it has to go.
Attachments
Looking at its best no non rainy day pic 1
Looking at its best no non rainy day pic 1
Garden this winter pic 2
Garden this winter pic 2
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Nice one Rob, gotta love those tree ferns. Do you not wrap yours?

When does the walkway build begin?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Nice one Rob, gotta love those tree ferns. Do you not wrap yours?

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Delboy wrote:Nice one Rob, gotta love those tree ferns. Do you not wrap yours?

Crowns and trunks are wrapped. The walk way shall begin when a good day is forcasted and my fingers don't fall of with the cold :lol:.
I am going to start when I have got a few more plants so it does not look like a clay wasteland, and work on it through the year.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Sounds great, i love projects like that.

I have a big ugly concrete path here that i would just love to rip up, but its about 12" thick, 40' long and according to the Wife is needed so that she can peg her washing out :evil:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Today I have been doing some plant planning. I have picked the perfect Eucalyptus 'Aggregata' for the hight, also it likes boggy conditions so it will do well on the old lawn as it squelches and can not dry it out .
I have also been looking at potential new species to plant to go with the Dicksonia antarctica down the path way and I think I would like a 1ft Trunk C Cunninghamii and a 3ft trunk Medullaris but I still have no idea where I'm going to get them from :lol:.
All in all a good plant research day.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

You going to add any trachycarpus Rob?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Delboy wrote:You going to add any trachycarpus Rob?
This won't go down well, sorry to all you palm fans but I'm not to fond Trachycarpus. I can appreciate how they help in planting schemes in other people's gardens but the palms I would want for my Australian / Newzealand walk way would be to tender to look after in the winter, plus I do not want to get addicted to palms as well as Tree Ferns as I'm impatient for things to grow i would have to buy specimens :lol:
Probably I will get a Livinstonia Australis or A Cunninghamina but I don't know how I would protect them in winter.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Today I have been finding Tree fern supplyers. I could get 3 Cyathea cooperi 2ft trunks or 1 C Medullaris 3ft trunk they are about the same price. :?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Shame that, a few trachys dotted about would give the Dicksonia antarctica's a nice canopy.
I do love my Dicksonia antarctica's but trachys are a VERY close second.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The fronds will be huge though. How will you protect I'm winter? Also are they rooted?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm very interested to see your walkway progress Rob. I like ferns and really don't have enough in my garden so will be keeping a close eye on what you plants so more than likely borrowing some of your ideas.

;)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:The fronds will be huge though. How will you protect I'm winter? Also are they rooted?
The cooperi are rooted and the Medullaris will be rooted.
3 2ft trunk are te same price as 1 3ft Medularis
So I don't no what to get.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Personally I would get the Medularis and get some Cooperi plugs off eBay as they grow very quickly.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.