Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob »

The big medullaris looks really good in the large pot. The medullaris I purchased from desert to jungle looks like its put on a inch or so of trunk over winter and is rooting like mad down its trunk.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cheshirepalms wrote:I prefer the trunks on the Dicksonia antarctica, but more choice is probably going to be more influenced in the cost.
True, you could get a 12ft Dicksonia antarctica for the price of a 3ft medullaris. A Dicksonia antarctica when its well established can look great and just as good, the only downside is that they are the most common tree fern, thats why i like to get the unusual ones. Dicksonia antarctica have got to be my favourite tree fern for the UK for many different reasons.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Its probably best that I get the most common as a complete novice with them, I've never had any form of ferns so its probably about time to get one!
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

So inspired by your tree ferns , they look so good in pots have just ordered a medullaris and delabata and various types of dicksonias from my ferns. I think they seem pretty good value.Can you tell me which tree fern is native to sabah in borneo as I would love one those as well. :D 8
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

robbie44 wrote:So inspired by your tree ferns , they look so good in pots have just ordered a medullaris and delabata and various types of dicksonias from my ferns. I think they seem pretty good value.Can you tell me which tree fern is native to sabah in borneo as I would love one those as well. :D 8
Thanks, I don't know much about tree ferns outside of Australia and New Zealand. The only tree fern Fro research that I believe comes from Borneo is Cyathea glabra, I don't think you have much chance of sourcing one as New Zealand tree ferns are hard to source. I think you will have to grow one from spore, I'm going to attempt growing some from more unusual tree ferns from spore soon, I don't know if any of the spores I have sourced are Borneo tree ferns though, hope this helps anyway.
Steph

Post by Steph »

robbie44 wrote:.Can you tell me which tree fern is native to sabah in borneo as I would love one those as well. :D 8
Google it - there are loads, never seen in the UK though.

http://www.amazing-borneo.com/wiki/kina ... rdens.html

22 species of Cyathea! I can't think of 22 types let alone 22 I have never heard of.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Steph wrote:
robbie44 wrote:.Can you tell me which tree fern is native to sabah in borneo as I would love one those as well. :D 8
Google it - there are loads, never seen in the UK though.

http://www.amazing-borneo.com/wiki/kina ... rdens.html

22 species of Cyathea! I can't think of 22 types let alone 22 I have never heard of.
I don't believe all Cyatheas are tree ferns.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Not so often I purchase showy flowering plants but today I saw a market stall in York selling Primula, they are not normally the plant style for my garden but I have never seen a flower so unusual in colour as the ones I saw today. I thought I would get a few but ended up purchasing all 14 that they had :lol: they are almost like the willow pattern a great blue colour not purple like some flowers with tiny marbled looking white stripes, I am hopefully going to be able to get some more next weekend. Im going to plant them naturally around the garden so in spring they will pop up add colour and look natural. Try and upload a picture tomorrow but when i took one today the pictures didn't do the plants justice they are fantastic in my opinion and I only normally like ferns :lol: .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Just received spores form the BPS, can not wait to propagate them. I luckily got C robusta but will not be growing that first as this is my first attempt and don't want to loose that species to a mistake. I received most of what I asked for, really impressed with the BPS and would recommend any fern enthusiast to sign up. :D Will keep this updated .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Should have mentioned I have been saving small grape cartons that I'm going to sterilise to grow the spores in. I will have to sterilise the compost and purchase some resealable bags to keep the humidity in and hopefully there will be hundreds if not thousands of baby Cyathea and Dicksonia soon, probably to optimistic :lol: be lucky to germinate one first time.
kata

Post by kata »

Just bought these Rob for food freezing,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/54-Ziploc-Zip ... 0826192623

They were a lot cheaper than the last lot from Amazan I bought.

icon_cheers
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

fern Rob wrote:hopefully there will be hundreds if not thousands of baby Cyathea and Dicksonia soon, probably to optimistic :lol: be lucky to germinate one first time.
Still waiting for my cooperi spores to germinate. :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

kata wrote:Just bought these Rob for food freezing,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/54-Ziploc-Zip ... 0826192623

They were a lot cheaper than the last lot from Amazan I bought.

icon_cheers
Exactly what I need, Thanks. icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
fern Rob wrote:hopefully there will be hundreds if not thousands of baby Cyathea and Dicksonia soon, probably to optimistic :lol: be lucky to germinate one first time.
Still waiting for my cooperi spores to germinate. :(
How long have you waited?
What technique did you use to germinate them, all advice on this subjects appreciated as I don't want to loose them.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

About 2 months now Rob, see here In my blog ( half way down the page)............

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1320