Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:About 2 months now Rob, see here In my blog ( half way down the page)............

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1320
Thanks

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 pm

fern Rob wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:About 2 months now Rob, see here In my blog ( half way down the page)............

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1320
Thanks
You appear to have used a lot of spores.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 am

Picture of the Primula that I purchased in bulk.
Attachments
photo.JPG

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:17 am

Only just noticed its the first of March, Is this technically the first day of spring? So much is going to happen in the garden this year building works etc, also my new tree ferns should be arriving this month, that should make quite a impact on the garden. I currently am thinking about digging a hole and sinking a wood post in to concrete, Im then going to attach the tree fern to the post and only burry 2inch or so in the soil, I will have to keep it well watered. Im not sure if to plant it when it arrives or not due to i don't want any building work to damage it, i was thinking of planting it in a small pot just so it can start rooting, It would be around may time when i would plant it fully.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 pm

I have managed to find a large 3ft Cordyline Banksii for sale today. Im thinking of purchasing it, its not 3ft trunk but should be a good plant.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Hopefully in the near future I should be getting some Colocasia ' black magic', But today I have also purchased 4 Colocasia ' black coral' with the glossy leaves should look great in the garden this year.

User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10163
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:10 pm

fern Rob wrote:Hopefully in the near future I should be getting some Colocasia ' black magic', But today I have also purchased 4 Colocasia ' black coral' with the glossy leaves should look great in the garden this year.
If we get a warm wet summer they'll do well.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Hopefully in the near future I should be getting some Colocasia ' black magic', But today I have also purchased 4 Colocasia ' black coral' with the glossy leaves should look great in the garden this year.
If we get a warm wet summer they'll do well.
Im going to go heavy on the feed, hopefully get them to pup.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 pm

New slightly smaller than 1ft tree fern coming by the end of the week Woo Hoo, potted and fronded.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

New Tree Ferns arrived.

Down to the interesting stuff. I have loads of interesting tree ferns spores that I'm going to propagate. Im going to split each species in half and try two techniques on every one to see what works best , has i don't want to commit them all to one methods and looses them ending up without one of the species germinating.

Technique one that I'm going to try is, microwaving compost in a microwave proof container to sterilise it, allowing it to cool and placing a thin layer of spores on to the compost sealing the container up with a resealable bag. placing under a heat lamp and keeping the humidity high.
Using distilled water to spray the container with.

Technique two should be great as long as everything is really sterile. Im going to micro-propogate the other half of the spores. All equipment will have to be sterilised under UV light to kill bacteria and other spores etc. Using a laminar air flow cabinet will keep everything sterile. Im then going to carefully sprinkle the spores on to petri-dishes and keeping them above in a propagation cabinet that should be pretty sterile ( fingers crossed no bacteria will grow ). Once they have grown to a size where the leaflets are showing i shall then remove the ferns from the dishes and was there roots gently to remove the residue and pot up,and keep under a spray bench once establishing.

Busy tree fern growing year hopefully. :D

pdid

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by pdid » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:46 am

fern Rob wrote:New Tree Ferns arrived.

Down to the interesting stuff. I have loads of interesting tree ferns spores that I'm going to propagate. Im going to split each species in half and try two techniques on every one to see what works best , has i don't want to commit them all to one methods and looses them ending up without one of the species germinating.

Technique one that I'm going to try is, microwaving compost in a microwave proof container to sterilise it, allowing it to cool and placing a thin layer of spores on to the compost sealing the container up with a resealable bag. placing under a heat lamp and keeping the humidity high.
Using distilled water to spray the container with.

Technique two should be great as long as everything is really sterile. Im going to micro-propogate the other half of the spores. All equipment will have to be sterilised under UV light to kill bacteria and other spores etc. Using a laminar air flow cabinet will keep everything sterile. Im then going to carefully sprinkle the spores on to petri-dishes and keeping them above in a propagation cabinet that should be pretty sterile ( fingers crossed no bacteria will grow ). Once they have grown to a size where the leaflets are showing i shall then remove the ferns from the dishes and was there roots gently to remove the residue and pot up,and keep under a spray bench once establishing.

Busy tree fern growing year hopefully. :D
Sounds interesting! Good luck icon_thumleft

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by Tom2006 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 pm

Now my move is on hold I wish I'd kept my order. That said just re potted a four foot Dicksonia antarctica my Medularis and a small Dicksonia antarctica. Back breaking work and still got another 4 footer and a two footer to do. Going to plant my other 2 and 3 footers in the ground.need to free up space so I can lay new decking and actually use the decking. :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 pm

pdid wrote:
fern Rob wrote:New Tree Ferns arrived.

Down to the interesting stuff. I have loads of interesting tree ferns spores that I'm going to propagate. Im going to split each species in half and try two techniques on every one to see what works best , has i don't want to commit them all to one methods and looses them ending up without one of the species germinating.

Technique one that I'm going to try is, microwaving compost in a microwave proof container to sterilise it, allowing it to cool and placing a thin layer of spores on to the compost sealing the container up with a resealable bag. placing under a heat lamp and keeping the humidity high.
Using distilled water to spray the container with.

Technique two should be great as long as everything is really sterile. Im going to micro-propogate the other half of the spores. All equipment will have to be sterilised under UV light to kill bacteria and other spores etc. Using a laminar air flow cabinet will keep everything sterile. Im then going to carefully sprinkle the spores on to petri-dishes and keeping them above in a propagation cabinet that should be pretty sterile ( fingers crossed no bacteria will grow ). Once they have grown to a size where the leaflets are showing i shall then remove the ferns from the dishes and was there roots gently to remove the residue and pot up,and keep under a spray bench once establishing.

Busy tree fern growing year hopefully. :D
Sounds interesting! Good luck icon_thumleft
Ill keep the progress posted.

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Tom2006 wrote:Now my move is on hold I wish I'd kept my order. That said just re potted a four foot Dicksonia antarctica my Medularis and a small Dicksonia antarctica. Back breaking work and still got another 4 footer and a two footer to do. Going to plant my other 2 and 3 footers in the ground.need to free up space so I can lay new decking and actually use the decking. :lol:
What about if you move will you dig the Dicksonia antarctica up? Potting my ferns up one by one . Taking some time and compost :lol:

fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by fern Rob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 pm

Going to Costco tomorrow to see if i can get hold of some more of the big Pots I planted the Medullaris and Trachys in. I want to Pot My 2 C Australis and my another Medullaris.

Post Reply