Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
wugga

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by wugga »

I'm desperate to get hold of robusta - they are gorgeous! I think lepifera and contaminans are great looking as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of your medullaris in its new container. What kind of compost are you going to use?

I was going to get a grevillea last year so I'd be interested to see a pic of that as well.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

wugga wrote:I'm desperate to get hold of robusta - they are gorgeous! I think lepifera and contaminans are great looking as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture of your medullaris in its new container. What kind of compost are you going to use?

I was going to get a grevillea last year so I'd be interested to see a pic of that as well.
The Grevillia i have been told is a great shrub, that comes next week. Can not wait to pot the C medullaris up.
compost mix for the medullaris.

Some general purpose compost mixed with bark 50/50 mix. Then some vine weevil repellant and slow release fertiliser pellets, top dressed with bark.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Only just noticed but the winds blown one of my tree ferns over :? .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Feels like everyones getting ready to garden, I have placed more orders. Loads to do in the garden tomorrow. Found out my spores are on there way. Not long till my tree fern comes. icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:Only just noticed but the winds blown one of my tree ferns over :? .

I guess it wasn't fully rooted?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Only just noticed but the winds blown one of my tree ferns over :? .

I guess it wasn't fully rooted?
Its one i purchased before 2010 it got badly damaged but is getting a ok crown on it now, but few to little roots.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Well I have a Clianthus puniceus on order but I saw a really great plant at Braithwell nurseries today and purchased it, it is a red one like the one I have on order so I may exchange the one on order for Clianthus puniceus Flamingo. Been tidying the garden today and more work to be done, tomorrow I will post pictures of the plant and the garden tidy up. Also I have removed the fleece from my tree ferns.
fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog Tree fern pics

Post by fern Rob »

Just potted my 3ft C medullaris up, it looks great, now 5ft in its new pot. Its got new roots growing down the trunk. Very happy with the plant.
Attachments
Cyathea Medullaris Before re-potting
Cyathea Medullaris Before re-potting
Root of Medullaris, needed to break the pot off to limit damage to the plant.
Root of Medullaris, needed to break the pot off to limit damage to the plant.
Potted in its new pot.
Potted in its new pot.
photo 14.JPG
fern Rob

Re: Fern Robs Blog Tree fern pics

Post by fern Rob »

A few pics of some of my other Cyatheas and Dicksonias.

These are of my 4 C medullaris, that have actually grown over the winter, took them out today and water them all.
Attachments
My other C medullaris.
My other C medullaris.
C medullaris and C dealbata in the background.
C medullaris and C dealbata in the background.
Roots growing down its trunk.
Roots growing down its trunk.
more roots
more roots
Another medullaris
Another medullaris
Another
Another
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Cyathea Smithii I have just potted up, I haven't got a picture of the C cunninghamii that got defoliated but new croziers are in its crown so hopefully it should be alright.
Attachments
photo.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A few tree ferns missing from the pictures but I will get round to taking more pics sometime.
Attachments
One of the C australis
One of the C australis
D squarrosa 1
D squarrosa 1
photo 3.JPG
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

They are looking great for the time of year! icon_thumleft I think its the one thing I don't have in my garden that I need to complete the style of plants I like. When I see a cheap one I'll snap it up.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

cheshirepalms wrote:They are looking great for the time of year! icon_thumleft I think its the one thing I don't have in my garden that I need to complete the style of plants I like. When I see a cheap one I'll snap it up.
Thanks, Dicksonia antarctica or medullaris?
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I prefer the trunks on the Dicksonia antarctica, but more choice is probably going to be more influenced in the cost.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looking great. Must repot mine asap.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.