Karl66 Blog - latest pic's taken this afternoon.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
flounder

Re: Karl66 Blog - latest pic's taken this afternoon.

Post by flounder »

Yep, that was very watchable icon_thumleft
Some ideas in there I might have to 'borrow'
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm going to get some pic's up soon of my dicksonia fern's, they have gone mental!!, one of my 1 metre trunk ones has pushed out 27 frond's in one season, the other's between 12/16, my one footer's averaging between 4/8. karl.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Wow!! Your garden looks amazing! It must be very big cause I've never seen so many palms in one garden! There's no way I could fit that lot in my garden and yet you still have a lot of space left.you must be so pleased with it icon_salut
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dot, many thanks!, I may well have to move them all if a house i'm looking at comes off!. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Dot, many thanks!, I may well have to move them all if a house i'm looking at comes off!. karl.

Bigger garden?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Dot, many thanks!, I may well have to move them all if a house i'm looking at comes off!. karl.
Seriously Karl ? LOL!!!!!

oh man that would be a mammoth task digging them all up, just as there settled too.

I reckon for a man of your buying habits you need a garden at least 4 times the current size, possibly bigger :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Well, the situation at the moment is that we live in a semi detached house that we have extended to death!!, rear & side extension & we still have a massive garden, the other house we have seen is less than half a mile up the road but is a detached house on a corner plot, it has the same size frontage except slightly wider & the rear garden is a funny shape i'd say twice as wide as my current garden but only about 45ft long compared to almost 130ft I have now!!, the house is about 120k more than our current one & my wife does not think we would fit all our furniture in!!, I suppose it's the prestige of a detached but there not always bigger, we have to way up whether its worth all the hassle & money. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Well, the situation at the moment is that we live in a semi detached house that we have extended to death!!, rear & side extension & we still have a massive garden, the other house we have seen is less than half a mile up the road but is a detached house on a corner plot, it has the same size frontage except slightly wider & the rear garden is a funny shape i'd say twice as wide as my current garden but only about 45ft long compared to almost 130ft I have now!!, the house is about 120k more than our current one & my wife does not think we would fit all our furniture in!!, I suppose it's the prestige of a detached but there not always bigger, we have to way up whether its worth all the hassle & money. karl.

doesnt sound worth it Karl, 45ft vs 130ft, and can't fit all your stuff in! icon_scratch icon_thumbdown

I'd take the semi everytime!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

karl66 wrote:I'm going to get some pic's up soon of my dicksonia fern's, they have gone mental!!, one of my 1 metre trunk ones has pushed out 27 frond's in one season, the other's between 12/16, my one footer's averaging between 4/8. karl.
How long as the Dicksonia antarctica that has pushed 27 fronds been planted?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

fern Rob wrote:
karl66 wrote:I'm going to get some pic's up soon of my dicksonia fern's, they have gone mental!!, one of my 1 metre trunk ones has pushed out 27 frond's in one season, the other's between 12/16, my one footer's averaging between 4/8. karl.
How long as the Dicksonia antarctica that has pushed 27 fronds been planted?
Rob, the 27/28 fronded dicksonia was one of the last ones to be planted!!, it was one of seagraves ones bought last January that everyone was stressing about :lol: ,it's a about a metre high but is the fattest trunk I've ever seen. karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Well, the situation at the moment is that we live in a semi detached house that we have extended to death!!, rear & side extension & we still have a massive garden, the other house we have seen is less than half a mile up the road but is a detached house on a corner plot, it has the same size frontage except slightly wider & the rear garden is a funny shape i'd say twice as wide as my current garden but only about 45ft long compared to almost 130ft I have now!!, the house is about 120k more than our current one & my wife does not think we would fit all our furniture in!!, I suppose it's the prestige of a detached but there not always bigger, we have to way up whether its worth all the hassle & money. karl.

No need to be snobby over semis rather than fully detached. Yes a detached is preferable but I'd rather have a bigger semi than a small detached. I know most of my family thought I should have bought a detached house this time and could have bought one but for us the size of the house and more importantly the size of the garden was critical for us.(I'm sure it is for you as well?)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kris, I can asure you there's i'm not a snob!! :lol: , i'm just a normal working class bloke who always tries to better himself if possible, your spot on re- garden size though & it will/would be a major wrench to pull me away from here especially the amount of plant's that would have to be moved!, I think if the newer house had a garden 2/3 times larger there would be no choice!, I've shown the property to a few family/friend's & the first think they have said id Oh its nice but I would not swap that house & garden for your's karl!........ karl.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I should have said "one shouldn't be snobby" rather than implying you were. icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Well about 5 oclock yesterday we went to view the house & I have to say were a tad dissapointed :( . The house in general was ok & had a slightly larger floorplan than our's & being detached had the natural light coming from all angle's!, the business part of the viewing was of course the garden!, it was an L shape being approx. 60ft wide but the vast majority was only 36ft from patio door's to back of fence :shock: , bear in mind this is a wide plot with extension's to both sides but with no scope at all to further extend the back of house due to limited space. It did not convince us enough to want to uproot what we have & add another 120k to boot!. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Well about 5 oclock yesterday we went to view the house & I have to say were a tad dissapointed :( . The house in general was ok & had a slightly larger floorplan than our's & being detached had the natural light coming from all angle's!, the business part of the viewing was of course the garden!, it was an L shape being approx. 60ft wide but the vast majority was only 36ft from patio door's to back of fence :shock: , bear in mind this is a wide plot with extension's to both sides but with no scope at all to further extend the back of house due to limited space. It did not convince us enough to want to uproot what we have & add another 120k to boot!. karl.
If it were me I'd move further out in the sticks where 120k more would get acres of garden or I'd look at bigger semi detached with huge gardens.