Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Plans for 2014, new border.

Post by cheshirepalms »

I am (funding permitting) getting a new panelled fence along the scruffy side of my back garden, which is currently without a border. The plan is for this to happen in late February to early March next year. The top end close to the house is North facing with the house casting a shadow throughout much of the year, expect a few hours in mid summer. It is also badly drained, conditions become much more favourable and drier as you progress down the garden. I'm thinking of planting (running from the house down) Fatsia, bamboo at the top, and a washingtonia and Yucca elephantipies towards the bottom. Whats peoples opinions and advice on the planting ideas for the shady, wetter area? Any other ideas or advice are very welcome.
Attachments
plan2.jpg
plan1.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Shady and wet?

I would go for things like Rodegrsia, Astilboides tabularis, ground ferns, Impatiens omeiana, Hellebores and Podophyllum.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote:I am (funding permitting) getting a new panelled fence along the scruffy side of my back garden, which is currently without a border. The plan is for this to happen in late February to early March next year. The top end close to the house is North facing with the house casting a shadow throughout much of the year, expect a few hours in mid summer. It is also badly drained, conditions become much more favourable and drier as you progress down the garden. I'm thinking of planting (running from the house down) Fatsia, bamboo at the top, and a washingtonia and Yucca elephantipies towards the bottom. Whats peoples opinions and advice on the planting ideas for the shady, wetter area? Any other ideas or advice are very welcome.

If you can get a 6 foot fence that will make the biggest difference, oh and paint it black drunken_smilie1 icon_thumleft Perfect backdrop for lashings of exotics. Would hide all that random bamboo fencing action of the neighbours

Could you dig a drainage channel, and lay down an open drain pipe running the length and fill with gravel?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I think the problem is water draining from next door as they have a paved area, if I get a 6 foot fence with countersunk concrete bases then hopefully it may solve the problem. I will look into them plants Adam, thank you.
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- November Garden

Post by cheshirepalms »

An aerial view of the back garden in November, looking bleak, but the basjoo still holds on!
Attachments
garden1.jpg
garden2.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote:An aerial view of the back garden in November, looking bleak, but the basjoo still holds on!
are you straw caging that basjoo? it will get some impressive height next year if you do. My ground razed ones never get anywhere close to wrapped ones icon_thumright
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:An aerial view of the back garden in November, looking bleak, but the basjoo still holds on!
are you straw caging that basjoo? it will get some impressive height next year if you do. My ground razed ones never get anywhere close to wrapped ones icon_thumright
Yes certainly am, playing Russian roulette with the weather last night though, down to 2.6c. Everything is ready to go, straw, chicken wire etc. Not sure what to do with the pups though, some are 5 foot, and close to the main stem.
cordyman

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- November Garden.

Post by cordyman »

i'm playing russian roulette too, everything ready, but couldnt get myself out at weekend in the rain, decorating kitchen instead. This weekend though everything is getting wrapped.

With that height of basjoo you should be able to cage the whole thing icon_thumright
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I'm still going to cut the leaves, but keep as much height on the trunk as I can, maybe 5 foot. I'll probably do it next Sunday or Monday, unless a frost is certain before.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I always cut leaves off too. Use them as a slow release mulch around my bamboo, culms go crazy come spring.

I put a fleece bag with drawer string on top of cage andthen a bin bag with holes tied on.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:I always cut leaves off too. Use them as a slow release mulch around my bamboo, culms go crazy come spring.

I put a fleece bag with drawer string on top of cage andthen a bin bag with holes tied on.
I will be doing something very similar, although it is my first year with basjoo.
cheshirepalms

Re: Basjoo Wrapping Time.

Post by cheshirepalms »

With the first frosts of the Autumn forecast early next week, I thought it was time to wrap the Basjoo. This is my first attempt at this, so I hope it works! It has had a good season, so definitely worth the effort I think. First picture is May 2nd and the second is October 8th, the others are of today’s wrap.
Attachments
basjoomay.jpg
basjoooct.jpg
bas1.jpg
bas2.jpg
bas3.jpg
bas4.jpg
bas5.jpg
bas6.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

did you go two cages high? and fill straw over the top?

I'd put a fleece bag over the whole thing, and then a binbag/sports direct bag back. Or if fleece bag too pricy pick up roll of fleece from wilko only a few quid and wrap round.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:did you go two cages high? and fill straw over the top?

I'd put a fleece bag over the whole thing, and then a binbag/sports direct bag back. Or if fleece bag too pricy pick up roll of fleece from wilko only a few quid and wrap round.
I wrapped wire around the top for now, and filled up to the top of the stalk, need more straw and chicken wire. Was nearly dark when I finished but wanted it covered ASAP. I will buy more chicken wire and top up the straw, maybe fleece could be an option over the top of the trunk?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Good job.