Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Post Reply
miketropic

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Opuntia flower!

Post by miketropic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:54 pm

I would be really surprised if they did. I had a slug infestation a few weeks back but they would not go near the cactus bed. I really think those are safe

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by cheshirepalms » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm

I've put some pellets around the tasty one just in case :lol:

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by cheshirepalms » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Finally found some Delosperma cooperi today, I've been looking for this for ages. I already have some Delosperma congestum in the greenhouse from last year. I really love lampranthus, but I think this is the closest I can get away with. Should make for some nice ground cover in the new borders and a nice colour contrast between the two.
Attachments
delosperma.jpg
delosperma.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 941 times

User avatar
Arlon Tishmarsh
Posts: 6957
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Horizontal

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 pm

I've been toying with the idea of getting some this plant myself

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by cheshirepalms » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

£1.60 from homebase icon_thumright

Delboy

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by Delboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm

I had some in the garden that i planted in 2011, but they died that winter.I had also put 2 in the tubs on my doorstep and they are fine but this year is the first time they've flowered. Are they supposed to be hardy?

cordyman

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by cordyman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 pm

cheshirepalms wrote:Finally found some Delosperma cooperi today, I've been looking for this for ages. I already have some Delosperma congestum in the greenhouse from last year. I really love lampranthus, but I think this is the closest I can get away with. Should make for some nice ground cover in the new borders and a nice colour contrast between the two.

are these the same family as osteospermums? they look similar and I imagine they spread well?

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Delosperma ground cover.

Post by cheshirepalms » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 pm

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Finally found some Delosperma cooperi today, I've been looking for this for ages. I already have some Delosperma congestum in the greenhouse from last year. I really love lampranthus, but I think this is the closest I can get away with. Should make for some nice ground cover in the new borders and a nice colour contrast between the two.

are these the same family as osteospermums? they look similar and I imagine they spread well?
I think they are more likely related to lampranthus but with a better cold tolerance, they do spread out pretty quickly. Ps Slugs love them!

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Sun kicks starts the tender flowers

Post by cheshirepalms » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 pm

The sun the last 2 days has really got to work on the more tender plants and sent them into or close to bloom. Dahlia Arabian night and garden wonder both budding up nicely. Oleander is on the verge of flowering as is Callistemon. Olive and passion flower have both burst into flower, and I can almost watch the Musa Basjoo grow.
Attachments
july64.jpg
juky63.jpg
july62.jpg
july6.jpg

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Garden video update

Post by cheshirepalms » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 am

Here's an update video on the garden in the glorious Cheshire sunshine, filmed at midday 7th July, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. icon_sunny!

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Callistemon laevis in flower.

Post by cheshirepalms » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Callistemon laevis is starting to come into full flower, later than last year though. Not bad seeing as all the new growth from late last summer was killed in the winter.
Attachments
bottlebrush.jpg
bottlebrush2.jpg
Last edited by cheshirepalms on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cordyman

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Garden video update

Post by cordyman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 pm

cheshirepalms wrote:Here's an update video on the garden in the glorious Cheshire sunshine, filmed at midday 7th July, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. icon_sunny!

Oooooooooooh I can almost feel the heat coming from that greenhouse! are you planting any of it out?


what type of banana is that at 0.01? cavendish?

how old is the red hot poker @ 0.55 in front garden? i've got some from bulbs and they've only grown 4 inchs this year :(

0.40 seconds in front garden the temp sensor on back of fence, did you mention in some posts your temps are always higher than official stations/wunderground etc? The suns shining on the back of the fence so will without a doubt radiate the heat through the wood and give a higher than reality reading, would be better in a full shaded position somewhere. icon_thumleft

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Garden video update

Post by cheshirepalms » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:03 pm

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Here's an update video on the garden in the glorious Cheshire sunshine, filmed at midday 7th July, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. icon_sunny!

Oooooooooooh I can almost feel the heat coming from that greenhouse! are you planting any of it out?


what type of banana is that at 0.01? cavendish?

how old is the red hot poker @ 0.55 in front garden? i've got some from bulbs and they've only grown 4 inchs this year :(

0.40 seconds in front garden the temp sensor on back of fence, did you mention in some posts your temps are always higher than official stations/wunderground etc? The suns shining on the back of the fence so will without a doubt radiate the heat through the wood and give a higher than reality reading, would be better in a full shaded position somewhere. icon_thumleft
Nothing more to be planted from the greenhouse this year, some is for the arid bed on the front, which will be next year now and some for a border I can't dig until a new fence is built, which will be next spring when I have some £s coming in. The banana is a Lasiocarpa. I planted all the pokers I have in March 2012 direct into the ground from rhizomes. They didn't flower last year or grow a great deal. They have gone nuts this year, but only one flower stalk per clump. They are dividing rapidly so should be many flower stalks next year. I'm sure yours will flower next June icon_thumleft. ps been adding bloodfish every few weeks.

Have been taking readings from a completely shaded new thermometer on a north facing fence behind the house, zero sun for 365 days. The one shown is always 1-2c higher.

cordyman

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Garden video update

Post by cordyman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 pm

cheshirepalms wrote:
cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Here's an update video on the garden in the glorious Cheshire sunshine, filmed at midday 7th July, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. icon_sunny!

Oooooooooooh I can almost feel the heat coming from that greenhouse! are you planting any of it out?


what type of banana is that at 0.01? cavendish?

how old is the red hot poker @ 0.55 in front garden? i've got some from bulbs and they've only grown 4 inchs this year :(

0.40 seconds in front garden the temp sensor on back of fence, did you mention in some posts your temps are always higher than official stations/wunderground etc? The suns shining on the back of the fence so will without a doubt radiate the heat through the wood and give a higher than reality reading, would be better in a full shaded position somewhere. icon_thumleft
Nothing more to be planted from the greenhouse this year, some is for the arid bed on the front, which will be next year now and some for a border I can't dig until a new fence is built, which will be next spring when I have some £s coming in. The banana is a Lasiocarpa. I planted all the pokers I have in March 2012 direct into the ground from rhizomes. They didn't flower last year or grow a great deal. They have gone nuts this year, but only one flower stalk per clump. They are dividing rapidly so should be many flower stalks next year. I'm sure yours will flower next June icon_thumleft. ps been adding bloodfish every few weeks.

Have been taking readings from a completely shaded new thermometer on a north facing fence behind the house, zero sun for 365 days. The one shown is always 1-2c higher.

ah good stuff :D

I'll leave my pokers in situ then with the hope next year they'll do something! 3 out of 5 germinated, i'll show you a pic later :lol:

User avatar
cheshirepalms
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W
Contact:

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Oleander bloom.

Post by cheshirepalms » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Finally the prolonged heat has been enough for the Oleander to commence flowering, With plenty of buds on the rest of the plant and its neighbour on the other side of the porch I'm hoping for flowers right into Autumn. They really struggled last year!
Attachments
oleander.jpg

Post Reply