Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Hibiscus Syriacus flowers

Post by cheshirepalms »

No let up in growth of anything despite much cooler conditions of the last few days. Brugmansia sanguinea is now in full flower too!
Attachments
garden2.jpg
brugo2.jpg
brugo.jpg
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Last day of summer garden tour

Post by cheshirepalms »

Well as its officially the last day of summer so here is a garden tour, hopefully in much better quality than the previous ones. Hope you enjoy it and that this fantastic summer keeps on giving! icon_sunny

cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- CIPD spear pull recovery, update.

Post by cheshirepalms »

A quick update on the Canary Island date palm spear pull recovery. It spear pulled on 13th June and it doesn’t look too bad 2 and half months later. First picture is 14th June, the second is 19th July and the third is today. Testament to a warm dry summer which has given me the chance to use soluble palm feed as a bonus. It was far to wet to feed palms with soluble feed last year.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
canrecovery.jpg
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- A few early buys for next year.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Managed to pick up some unusual seeds that I've not come across for sale before, while I was on holiday. Anyone had any experience of growing any of these from seed. My girlfriend (from South Africa) has been desperate for a protea, and I've not been able to find anything till now.
Attachments
seeds.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

we have lots of datura over here but never tried the others
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

miketropic wrote:we have lots of datura over here but never tried the others
How do you look after those in Winter Mike? Ps I've sourced some Monkey puzzle trees, a group so there should be a greater chance of cones, although none yet.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

we actually grow them as annuals here they won't survive my winters but they might yours. Here with out heat the grow like mad reaching 5 ft in a season and bushing out and flowering well.. buy seed you never have to by it again, prolific seeders. I let mine die out so I have to get some more seed from a friend down the street. I've only seen them in white are there other colors available over there?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I'm sure there are other colours and its says mixed on the packet, so I'm hoping that means mixed colour as well as variety. We will see, I'm not going to sow them until February and it will be indoors, moved to greenhouse in mid April to May. Ready to go out in June.
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- The lull before the storm.

Post by cheshirepalms »

This is probably as good as the garden will look now before next spring/summer, taken on Saturday before the high winds of today.
Attachments
gunnergarden.jpg
flounder

Post by flounder »

cheshirepalms wrote:Managed to pick up some unusual seeds that I've not come across for sale before, while I was on holiday. Anyone had any experience of growing any of these from seed. My girlfriend (from South Africa) has been desperate for a protea, and I've not been able to find anything till now.
Just seen this so thought I'd give a mention to Silverhill seeds, Being in South Africa they have a good selection of SA plants!
Germinating protea isn't the problem, it's keeping them alive afterwards :roll:
I've had good results mixing some bonfire ash in water, soaking seeds in that for a few hours then planting in a moist, sandy compost mix. 25c ish they'll be up in a week or so.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

flounder wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Managed to pick up some unusual seeds that I've not come across for sale before, while I was on holiday. Anyone had any experience of growing any of these from seed. My girlfriend (from South Africa) has been desperate for a protea, and I've not been able to find anything till now.
Just seen this so thought I'd give a mention to Silverhill seeds, Being in South Africa they have a good selection of SA plants!
Germinating protea isn't the problem, it's keeping them alive afterwards :roll:
I've had good results mixing some bonfire ash in water, soaking seeds in that for a few hours then planting in a moist, sandy compost mix. 25c ish they'll be up in a week or so.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get hold of some in November from a bonfire site icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

cheshirepalms wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get hold of some in November from a bonfire site
Be careful where you get it from, you don't want any ash from stuff that's had treated woods and old mattresses and like.
A lot of places sell smoke thingys, can't remember what they're called, basically a disc impregnated to put in the water you soak the seeds in. I'm tight so I don't invest in stuff like that, I prefer to get my hands dirty!
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

flounder wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get hold of some in November from a bonfire site
Be careful where you get it from, you don't want any ash from stuff that's had treated woods and old mattresses and like.
A lot of places sell smoke thingys, can't remember what they're called, basically a disc impregnated to put in the water you soak the seeds in. I'm tight so I don't invest in stuff like that, I prefer to get my hands dirty!
Thanks for the heads up. I've got an incinerator bin so ill burn some wood myself and use that, no going to sow any of the seeds until February on a windowsill, so they should be some young plants come May, when we are hopefully frost free.
cheshirepalms

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Summer continues into October.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Everything is still actively growing and looking good, so late into the year. It was a late start to the spring, but its certainly made up for it with summer continuing into September and now October!
Attachments
oct1.jpg
oct2.jpg
oct3.jpg
oct4.jpg
oct5.jpg
oct6.jpg
oct7.jpg
oct8.jpg
oct9.jpg
oct10.jpg
fern Rob

Re: Cheshirepalms blog- Summer continues into October.

Post by fern Rob »

You're garden is looking great.