Cheshirepalms blog - Planning for a new arid bed.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cordyman

Re: Basjoo Wrapping Time.

Post by cordyman »

One large haxnix fleece bag will over the whole tower with a drawer string at the bottom for speed. I got 6 for a tenner last year from b and q
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I've wrapped netting around the top section in near darkness I might add, so its about 5 inches above the top of trunk. Then added loads more straw and recovered with the bag. Pretty happy with it, roll on spring! icon_sunny
karl66

Post by karl66 »

4/5 layer's of fleece & a plastic bag is more than enough to keep my basjoo's alive :lol: , everyone to there own & everyone will do there own thing. karl.
cheshirepalms

Re: First Frost and protection.

Post by cheshirepalms »

First air frost of the season last night, everything I am willing to wrap was protected and hopefully the next few nights where frost is forecast are all as light. I'm just debating whether I should leave the fleeces on during the day during this period? Here's some snaps of the protection and a few of the garden during this bleak time.
Attachments
pro.jpg
pro1.jpg
pro10.jpg
pro11.jpg
pro2.jpg
pro3.jpg
pro4.jpg
pro5.jpg
pro6.jpg
pro7.jpg
cheshirepalms

Mid winter update

Post by cheshirepalms »

Here's a photographic update of the garden from today, very mild here in the northwest with only 2 air frosts in this winter period and I'm including November in that. Almost wish I hadn't wrapped the basjoo back then, or at least put it off till the upcoming expected colder period next week. Abutilon Kentish belle and a fuchsia are still flowering, I have daffodils sprouting up, a peach tree with a few of last seasons green leaves, it really has been that mild. Almost ideal if not for the frequency of strong winds and rainfall. Just the scruffy lawn letting everything down which is impossible to cut due to the wet! But long may the mild weather continue...
Attachments
jan1401.jpg
jan1402.jpg
jan1403.jpg
jan1404.jpg
jan1405.jpg
jan1406.jpg
jan1407.jpg
jan1408.jpg
jan1409.jpg
jan1410.jpg
cheshirepalms

Re: First Frost and protection.

Post by cheshirepalms »

A few more from today.
Attachments
jan1411.jpg
jan1413.jpg
jan1414.jpg
jan1415.jpg
jan1416.jpg
jan1417.jpg
jan1418.jpg
jan1419.jpg
cheshirepalms

Re: Mid winter update.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Last few.
Attachments
jan1420.jpg
jan1421.jpg
jan1422.jpg
jan1423.jpg
jan1424.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hopefully the winter stays like is as been icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

looks like those cactus are doing alright icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Yes ready for planting in the new arid bed in late spring.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

cheshirepalms wrote:Yes ready for planting in the new arid bed in late spring.

Just incase your worried mine took -32c the other day and don't even show it so you can plant them whenever you feel like it
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

miketropic wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Yes ready for planting in the new arid bed in late spring.

Just incase your worried mine took -32c the other day and don't even show it so you can plant them whenever you feel like it
Its the wet coupled with low temperatures that is my worry,lots of rain here in winter. I would need a winter raincover I think, then they will be ok.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

cheshirepalms wrote:Last few.
Have you had your washingtonia in the Green House all this Time? I'm in Germany and mine ave been out up until now with no protection.. Still looking good and the leaves are really robust, unlike from when I left them inside.. I hope that the winter weather stays as it is.. I could handle the -5 that they say we will be having next week for a few days..
Looking forward to spring.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

kohwoz wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Last few.
Have you had your washingtonia in the Green House all this Time? I'm in Germany and mine ave been out up until now with no protection.. Still looking good and the leaves are really robust, unlike from when I left them inside.. I hope that the winter weather stays as it is.. I could handle the -5 that they say we will be having next week for a few days..
Looking forward to spring.
Yes I've had them in the greenhouse for 2 years now, but I leave the door open unless temperatures are set to be below freezing. I'm trying to optimize growth for when I plant them out, but still giving them a taste of cooler conditions. A lot of plants in the greenhouse are set to be planted out next summer, I just need to put a new fence in to create a new border for them all, its all about £s.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Bought a Bamboo today for my new border which looks unlikely to happen this year, as I'll struggle to get the new fence financed unless I win the lotto :lol: . It is Fargesia murielae, don't know that much about it as yet, feel free to help me out. Also I planted my Arum lilies " Zantedeschia Aethiopica " in pots to start them off in the greenhouse. Are they likely to flower this summer or will they take a few years? Had a little potter round the garden and my basjoo is on the move, the side pups are growing unprotected so I dread to think whats stirring under the straw and wrap. The bag will probably start rising up soon. Brugmansia Sanguinea has also overwintered well and has some new shoots, including a sucker at the base that looks a possibility for propagation. Also my monkey puzzle seeds are starting to germinate on top of the fish tank. Collected in October from Biddulph Grange Gardens, but very slow so far.
Attachments
bamboo.jpg
arumlily.jpg
basjoowrap.jpg
monkey.jpg
brugmansia.jpg