Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
miketropic

Re: Miketropics blog -- Palms in winter

Post by miketropic »

I am thinking a row of white pines spaces close together on the left side to separate that lot until I can buy it and a row of Colorado blue spruce down the right, which is to far over to see in the pic. there is 4 or 5 trees at the far right back corner I can make into a shade garden until I plant more and they grow up. those pics are taken east faceing so the sun will come u behind the cedars and be on the garden all day
Deedee

Re: Miketropics blog -- Ready to start the new garden

Post by Deedee »

First of all Mike, I love the shape of the window, All that space with sunshine all day, you done ok there icon_thumleft your mind must be buzzin with ideas, bet your not gett'n much sleep :shock: looking forward to seeing what you do, i love new projects. Is there much to do indoors?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I have been working 7 days a week the last 2 weeks so not much sleep anyways. my mind is buzzing about what to do. I think I will try to draw it out on paper first and then change as I go. the interior needs paint and new carpets or flooring..and all my stuff moved in! should be in there in a month or 2 and hopefully I get a little warm spell in the weather and can do a tiny bit outside
Kristen

Re: Miketropics blog -- Palms in winter

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:It don't look like much now ...
Best that way I think. If you move into an established garden you would be loath to change anything ... whereas with a blank canvass like you have you can take a chainsaw and bulldozer to any part where you fancy constructing something :)

Are those pines you mention going to grow quite wide and steal space?

Its a toss-up though, as I think creating a shelter-belt is the No. #1 priority in a new garden. That and perhaps a means of propagating all the plants you need, on the cheap, such as a greenhouse or an indoor growing room (dunno whether it is too cold in winter, and too hot in summer, for a greenhouse to be much use to you over there?)
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Well chuffed for you Mike. Its gonna be really interesting to see how you develop it...... icon_thumleft
miketropic wrote:Well I was mad at myself that I didn't buy more but I guess I don't need to if they spread like that.
They bulk up very quickly or at least thats what i found.
pdid

Post by pdid »

You've certainly got at lot to think about now! It's a great space and should keep you busy for the next few years!

It's not looking good on the schefflera seeds you asked about. They hadn't matured by the 1st frost, I may leave in situ and hope for some seedlings around the base of the plant.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Not a lot to do inside then, get that done quickly and you should have plenty time to organise and design your garden Mike, perfect timing really. Good luck with it all icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Great bit of land you have there Mike, I wish you well in the future with your new place.
brendan

Post by brendan »

It looks a great piece of land you have there Mike in a few years time im expecting it to look like this at Brian Botanicals
Attachments
brians botanicals.jpg
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Thanks everyone for the well wishs. Its funny you posted that pic Brendan..thats only the front entrance! Theres alot more in the back. I'm sure Brian can lend me a banana or 2 for the new place. He has some good stuff comming out next year so I will get some of that in the garden as well. If this weather ever breaks I will get a chance to go out and get a better idea where I'm going with it
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great space to work with.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Got this in today..trithrinax campestris. This is a 5 year old and still not one adult leaf..I think I will have to pass this one down a few generations before it is a good size palm. I should have spent the money and got a lager one but there are so many other things I want to buy I went cheap on this one..Oh well stick it in the desert garden and let it go..

miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Cold and rainy day on Sunday so I did a ruff sketch of the new garden. The plan seems good in my head but the execution is the key. still a few areas Im not sure what to do with and it will take a few years for the trees to grow up and throw some shade..I like the idea though

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

need a bigger image Mike, so we can see the detail. Then we can all give you lots of conflicting advice and ideas!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:need a bigger image Mike, so we can see the detail. Then we can all give you lots of conflicting advice and ideas!

Thats why I made the smaller image so no one can see my sub par drawing skills and laugh at them 4,000 miles away icon_thumleft