Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Re: Miketropics blog -- Who turned off the heat?

Post by cheshirepalms »

More info on the dragon fruit please Mike, I have 2 in the house grown from seed and really unsure of where they should live. they cant stay in the house and its too cold even in the greenhouse to overwinter. What are your plans?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:Lots to want in your garden Mike :) Loved the annotated photos, thanks.
miketropic wrote:3 types of ricinus back there..seems the type we call "red" over here has the best growth but the others are not far behind
For me the New Zealand Purple I grow is 20% smaller than the R. zanzibarensis. I'll send you some seed this Winter once I've got my new stock in and you can try / compared. They'll probably turn out to be the same as yours :)
Id be happy to try them. I will get out there in a few and try to take a good pic of each one seperate so maybe everyone can help me get a positive ID or at least what there called in the UK.

As for the dragon fruit cheshire I won't be of much help..I leave them in a friends greenhouse in a back corner. It stays about 10C min in there all winter and they get water about once a month..there growth basically stops but as soon as it warms up they go nuts and start growing again. icon_thumleft for your dedication from seed. I tried that once and killed them all so I just got some cuttings the next round.

One a side note it dropped to 12.C last night! I can never remember a July that was that cold..horrible. The day temps are still getting up around 26.6C but these cool nights are not good for the garden.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Ricinus school is now in session, this is what I got and a few other pics so hopefully we can get this solved.

This is what we call "Common Green" They get fairly tall but tend to branch more than any other.plain green leaf

These are what we call "red"..red stem red pods and red lines down the leaves

The new zealand purples

and a few other pics

Spiders web finally starting to look right

Var. Fatsia putting on good growth now

And they all said it wouldn't grow here..looks like its growing good to me

Puckerd up starting to do it thing

Lemon Lime Gecko growing well also

Ground planted Brug cutting from my grandmother is doing fantastic..gunna be hell to dig up.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looking good Mike. I've just picked up a Lime Gecko and wondering if these can grow big?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Looking good Mike. I've just picked up a Lime Gecko and wondering if these can grow big?

mine is at about 4 ft tall and doing very well with some nice leaves. I have had them reach 5 ft but I'm not sure if that was mature height or not. I would hang on to it there taking it out of TC in the states so it might be hard to find in a few years.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

The weather has picked back up and the days have been much better. Highs around 29C but the nights are still very cool around 15c which is not normal at all. The plants don't seem to mind and I have been out working with them a little and took a few pics.

First off went to Brians the other day and snapped a few pics

windmill lookin good

Pindo doing well

Washy and queen have put out some new fronds since I was there last

Believe this is a Sabal Minor "Mccurtain" I got seed from it last year and its giving more again this year

tetrapanix leaf almost knocked me out

Grabbed a few things for myself while I was there..

If anyone has an ID on this I would appriciate it..some cousin to the colius..has a pundgent smell

Not sure if Pokeweed is in the UK but I got a few cuttings of a var. one..never seen another like it either

Colocasia Gigante comnon form..with the funny leaf backs

Came home and found this little guy on my mammoth..grey tree frog

As I was saying the Electric Blue Gecko leaf emerges black

Think the common ones in the UK are red?

Noticed I had a diff form of castor bean I never noticed

regular red leaf and pods

Other form I found both with red stalks
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:Not sure if Pokeweed is in the UK but I got a few cuttings of a var. one..never seen another like it either
Pokeweed yes, but not seen the variegated form (presumably Phytolacca americana Silberstein) offered - I've seen seeds on eBay ... but no idea if it will come true from seed.

Let me know if you get successful with cuttings please? :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:Not sure if Pokeweed is in the UK but I got a few cuttings of a var. one..never seen another like it either
Pokeweed yes, but not seen the variegated form (presumably Phytolacca americana Silberstein) offered - I've seen seeds on eBay ... but no idea if it will come true from seed.

Let me know if you get successful with cuttings please? :)

The plant came up wild at Brians and it is very large so if the cuttings don't take I'll go back and grab a big piece with some root and plant it :lol: and get your some cuttings off that. It really is a beautiful plant I'll get a picture of it next time I'm there..whole plant is heavily variegated.
pdid

Post by pdid »

You're lucky living close to somewhere like Brian's. Nothing resembling that anywhere near me.

I love the look of the electric blue gecko and the varigated pokeweed.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

pdid wrote:You're lucky living close to somewhere like Brian's. Nothing resembling that anywhere near me.

I love the look of the electric blue gecko and the varigated pokeweed.
I really am lucky not only is it a great place to visit and buy plants but he has also become a great friend over the years and I always enjoy going down just to talk plants.

Got this today and I am really happy with it..Musa Tanee. Got it here in the states so I didn't have to mess with customs or it being de leafed or going into shock in transit. nice corm grown pup. Color is great on it and it should do well here. It will be inside over winter but alot less fussy than AeAe. Can't wait to see how it grows.

B19bst

Re: Miketropics blog -- NEW VARIEGATED BANANA!

Post by B19bst »

got loads of lovely plants there..... jealous....

i love the musa tanee, over here we have to pay silly money for one and the same with the musa AeAe
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

They had both where I got this one. I want another AeAe but there fussy so I'll wait a bit..it is actually a bit late in the season for me to even get this one but it won't over winter outdoors so its fine..expecting 2 more naners this week and that should finish out my plant buying for this year..I hope :lol: and my wife does to I'm sure
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

dreary day so I thought I would post a couple pics from the last few days

Thai still in flower..collected alot of pollen but havent had any other flowers to use it on

How do I keep getting these white leaves? Kills them every time when small

Cleo with a bi color flower

Hardy begonia doing well

Cotton plant bloom

DANGER fruit :lol: Doubt they will be ripe before frost hits though

Tropicanna Black

I never get tired of these leaves

Got a Cali Gold and Dwarf Brazillian in the mail the other day as well
miketropic

Re: Miketropics blog -- I Got Stung!

Post by miketropic »

while I was in the garden a few days ago I felt a very harsh sting on my left elbow but couldn't place what had gotten me. The sting kept on for a few hours but went away and I forgot all about it..Just a few moments ago I was walking around to the back of the garden and I was stung again..this time I tracked it down as soon as it happened...green saddle back caterpillars..the sting is incredible, I think more than 1 got me and it is really one fire..I know these arnt in the UK so I thought I would take a pic..they also eat on palms :shock: these were on the bottom of a castor leaf

few other shots from today

strange ricinus..lavender color stem..star shaped leaf...

Solid yellow leaf and pup leaf on yellow splash

poppy flower

Variegated canna from seed
cordyman

Re: Miketropics blog -- I Got Stung!

Post by cordyman »

Those caterpillar are disgusting!!! They don't look real, like they are in a trap.