Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:RAIN DELAY on pics :lol:
Its like watching the Cricket in UK :lol:
:lol: I used to get the BBC on my other cable network and I caught cricket on a few times I never really understood it well. so different from baseball. sadley I think they called the game yesterday :lol: and I will try again today. calling for rain again. I did make it to a few garden centers yesterday and picked up a couple things will post pics in a few.
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:51 pm

picked these all up yesterday. Hosta were £4 and the hibiscus was £5.25

Hosta "Americana"

Image

Hosta "Fantasy Island"

Image

Hardy Hibiscus "Midnight Marvel"

Image

bout to go put the midnight and fantasy in the ground
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
fern Rob
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Nr Sheffield

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by fern Rob » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 pm

How big does Hosta "Americana" grow?
Rob
( Tree Fern hunter )


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by cordyman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Great blog Mike!!

love the castor bean field :D and the cannas are romping, shows how much heat the UK is missing for these to thrive well early season.

you seem to have so much land icon_sunny


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:20 pm

fern Rob wrote:How big does Hosta "Americana" grow?

smaller one 18" by 24" on a good clump

few more pics from earlier

a bunch of the florence vaughns in flower
Image

Lucifer in flower

Image

Made this at work while I was suppose to be working. going in a pot with dragon fruit..tie them up the pole then let them drape over the top..painted it today and forgot to take a pic.

Image

raining again so any more pics will have to wait
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


Kristen
Posts: 3877
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by Kristen » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 pm

miketropic wrote:I caught cricket on a few times I never really understood it well. so different from baseball.
Just like we don't understand baseball - so different to Cricket :lol:
K's Garden blog last update 30th December 2012, HTUK Blog


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Kristen wrote:
miketropic wrote:I caught cricket on a few times I never really understood it well. so different from baseball.
Just like we don't understand baseball - so different to Cricket :lol:

least we can all agree on soccer (football)...except for the name
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 pm

cordyman wrote:Great blog Mike!!

love the castor bean field :D and the cannas are romping, shows how much heat the UK is missing for these to thrive well early season.

you seem to have so much land icon_sunny
I have almost an acre here but alot of it is hillside ending in a large creek/river at the back. very overgrown so I can't really use it for planting. We are currently looking for a place to buy and stay for many years. then I can get my palms in the ground and do it right. If this neighborhood wasnt so bad I would dedicate time to clearing the hillside and I could have a fantastic garden..

30C and 70% humidity here today with very over cast skys so no pics.I'll take some pics of my canna Omegas tomm...tops out at 15 ft and there already around 6 or 7 now.
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:46 pm

figured I would throw a few pics up from today..for the 15 mins its not raining.

Somthing was eatting the fronds off my cooperi so I set a trap..caught this guy today but since I don't think he is the cause I let him go..boy was he ever mad.

Image

Nice bunch of Florence Vaughn flowers

Image

new leaf on the "white Lava" with a bit more white.

Image

the brug looking healthy but no sign of flowers..I think I need to chop it back

Image

Newest leaf on the thai..already busted the back ready to spit out another

Image
Image

all this rain is helping things grow but there all leaning and wanting to fall over since the ground is so soft..a bit more heat could help some to..mid 80'sF ( 30c ) really isnt warm enough for them..or me
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by cordyman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 pm

miketropic wrote:
cordyman wrote:Great blog Mike!!

love the castor bean field :D and the cannas are romping, shows how much heat the UK is missing for these to thrive well early season.

you seem to have so much land icon_sunny
I have almost an acre here but alot of it is hillside ending in a large creek/river at the back. very overgrown so I can't really use it for planting. We are currently looking for a place to buy and stay for many years. then I can get my palms in the ground and do it right. If this neighborhood wasnt so bad I would dedicate time to clearing the hillside and I could have a fantastic garden..

30C and 70% humidity here today with very over cast skys so no pics.I'll take some pics of my canna Omegas tomm...tops out at 15 ft and there already around 6 or 7 now.

Whats up with neighbourhood? crime etc?

Those pics you've just put up are quality. Your hand VS the aroid :shock:


User avatar
flounder
Posts: 5617
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: brighton

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by flounder » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:58 pm

So you've got nearly an acre. Your weather is fairly constant. You nearly understand that football is played with a round ball. If you could fish in the creek/river, I'd be over for two weeks end of August icon_thumleft
my name is flounder, but you can call me.............flounder! (or Gary, just don't call me late for dinner)


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 am

Cordy

The neighborhood was nice at one time ( so they tell me ) its sort of like a sub division. Now it has gone to crappe. there is a community building RIGHT in front of my house where they drink and party almost nightly. most of the smart people moved out now its people on fixed income or govt. assistance with no jobs and nothing to do but drink and caught problems. the noise gets outnd and no one enforces the rules..we are far away from town so the police don't even bother comming out Its just out of control. I don't have any children yet but this is no place for them. I have to find a house even more secluded from here. on a positive I got the house on a forclosure so it was a steal..did a remodel and got it nice and stand to make a HUGE profit once sold but the neighbors will bring the value down if there anywhere close when someone comes to look at it..I should schedule appts. for somtime mid day when there trying to sleep off the night before :lol:

flounder wrote:So you've got nearly an acre. Your weather is fairly constant. You nearly understand that football is played with a round ball. If you could fish in the creek/river, I'd be over for two weeks end of August icon_thumleft
The creek feeds the Kentucky River.full of fish. alot of large catfish 50-60 pounds usually, turtles, bass, crappie and things like that. I really would do more fishing but the mosquito will eat you alive if they dont carry you away first. I am thinking about trying to get the KY state bird changed to the mosquito
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
Springy
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm
Location: Abingdon on Thames. Nr. Oxford

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by Springy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:20 am

Hi mike, don't get chopping that brugmansia back yet!!!! :ahhh!: It looks like its about to form a Y in the stem! If it is your flowers will soon follow!
Lovely garden you have there mate. Really liking the aroids and cannas!! icon_thumleft


User avatar
miketropic
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am
Location: Kentucky US

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by miketropic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 am

that brug is about 5 ft tall..someone cut it back to make a Y and one side died out..now its at that height with no flowers...IDK what to do with it to get some flowers this year..was hopeing a good trim might help get it going and give it more of that tree look. I'll take a pic of the whole thing if it ever stops raining.
moonshine made in the kentucky tropics


User avatar
Springy
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm
Location: Abingdon on Thames. Nr. Oxford

Re: Miketropics blog -- summer in full swing

Post by Springy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:43 pm

miketropic wrote:that brug is about 5 ft tall..someone cut it back to make a Y and one side died out..now its at that height with no flowers...IDK what to do with it to get some flowers this year..was hopeing a good trim might help get it going and give it more of that tree look. I'll take a pic of the whole thing if it ever stops raining.
You need to let it grow a Y, you can't get a Y to form from pruning. It looks as if its growing a natural Y now so I'd leave it alone. Flowers will be with you shortly! :D


Post Reply