Miketropics blog -- Spring is FINALLY here

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Kristen

Re: Miketropics blog -- The seasons closed

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:This happens to be the first one I have ever come across
I've got some spares here of the 3 most common forms of variegated, I'll bung them in the parcel next time I send you something Mike. If you are just growing them as singles (rather than a hedge) then a Lollipop topiary, or something like that, might show them off better than growing them as a bush.

We've been planting a serpentine-path labyrinth and used different variegations of Holly for various sections of the walk, hence I have a few left over. You might find that yours is Male, if it has no real berries of its own, so be prepared for that :)

Serpentine maze

Lollipop Topiary:

Have you ever come across Pearl Fryar's topiary? He's in South Carolina and bonkers (in the Topiary sense, as opposed to the Tropical sense :lol: ). THere's an alternative hobby for you :roll:

http://www.pearlfryar.com/
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

You know I'll take anything you want to send over Kristen.. That maze with some var. holly will look insane when it grows up and fills in. put a few back for me. I have no idea if it is male or female and I think it was only for sale due to the holidays comming around. its in a small pot and about 12 inchs tall so it will be awhile before it would make berries. there were some holly at my old house ( common green ones ) and there was 1 male and 2 female and they always made berrys but never got above knee high...hopeing this one gets bigger so I can trim it to a topiary style. Never heard of pearl frayer but if I am ever down that way id love to take a look at what he has going on. They do a bit of topiary at the local zoo, I will have to snap a pic of some next time I go.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Just got in a large division of some japanese forest grass and a nice crazy looking chinese mayapple rhizome. should look great in spring.
miketropic

Re: Miketropics blog -- Palms in winter

Post by miketropic »

The winter has been getting the best of me and I have to find somthing to do. I have been ordering seeds like crazy but none to plant now..I have a few things going in the prop but that isn't cutting it either. I had been wanting a new palm for awhile and I finally put up the money for a good one..Just received a very nice Princeps in the mail today. Had no prior experience with this seller so didn't know what I was going to get but he sent me a wonderful one and I will be buying from him again...either another princeps or possibly a trithrinax campestris very soon.

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great little plant icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I planted my princeps out at the start of the season. I did have 3no prior to that but one developed crown rot, tried to send out a second growth point but eventually carked. The other two are in slightly raised beds. The leaf size started to shrink and i feared the worst again. Fortunately, after a while the leaf size then started to increase again so i'm hoping they'll be fine. They've had a cover over them for a couple of months to keep the rain off and the crown dry for winter.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Princeps are very prone to a disease that affect the base of the stem and the roots. Many of mine havegone into decline. Hopefully at least one will flourish.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I only know of a couple good size ones over this way, there kind of hard to come by and a large one is unheard of. I will make sure I keep a close eye on it and don't water into the crown even in summer. I really like the look of it and hope it does well..Now that Kris mentions the princeps hybrid in the other thread I need one of those as well :lol:

My other new plant that came in saturday in the snow storm..gigante

On a side note any idea what happened to this sheffie..it took a dive and went all the way down. pretty sure its a goner

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It should re shoot.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

fern Rob wrote:It should re shoot.

I hope so I am just leaving it sit on the table to see what it does
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Don't let it dry out if its in the house icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I think thats how it got in the situation it was in. I was so worried about root rot I let it dry out to much.

-13c this morning..not fun

These came in today. Top 2 are hybrid/variegated tulips I got for my wife. Bulbs arthe only gardening she will do since there plant and be done no maintance :lol: the 2 bags on the bottom are mine. the larger bag has 5 "orange marmalade" foxtail lilys and the other bag has a Dracunculus vulgaris bulb which I wish I had gotten more of now seeing the size they sent me..a monster that should bloom for around £1

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The voodoo will colonize very , very quickly , Mike. I started out with just 3 bulbs last year and now have 20 plus.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Well I was mad at myself that I didn't buy more but I guess I don't need to if they spread like that.

FINALLY signed the papers on my new home yesterday and went to change the locks today. I snapped a few pics off but the weather is aweful so I came back home quickly. It don't look like much now but over time I will make it something I can really enjoy. It does pitch one direction but I am hoping to work that into the plan and use it instead of trying to hide it. The knocked down tree will be removed as well and I think it will all look better once the grass has been cut down. I own back to the large cedars and I hope to get the lot next to me and have it 2 acres wide

View from the dineing room window

out the back door

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A great space to work with.