Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog:New August garden video plan

Post by Tom2006 »

Awesome level of work!!...got to ask mate, with three sprogs myself, I'm very impressed you get the time to do so much....all credit to you. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:Awesome level of work!!...got to ask mate, with three sprogs myself, I'm very impressed you get the time to do so much....all credit to you. icon_thumleft

Cheers! I need some encouragement, the digging is very hard as it's heavy clay that's been compacted for 50 years and is more like solid rock as it's so dry. Every time I stick the spade in the whole sod lifts out in one large piece. The tree roots and glass is getting beyond a joke as well now. Still got plenty more to do but it's getting there. Another few bonfires and trips to the dump should see it all cleared.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

are the raised beds going to be tall enough to combat the drainage problems?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:are the raised beds going to be tall enough to combat the drainage problems?
12 inches raised plus about 8 inches of heavy topsoil below should be good enough for most things. I've seen photos of Trachys growing on mountainsides in barely any soil so fingers crossed.

The bamboos only grow in the top foot or so and the tropical stuff like cannas etc wont be in there in winter.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

should be ok then
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:should be ok then

Hopefully, which has got me thinking ( que new thread)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Here's a video update showing the garden cleared and thoughts on design.

Kristen

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog:digging video garden update

Post by Kristen »

Is your hose over 25M? If so I would recommend trying 3/4" hose. I get nearly twice as much (volume) through mine as similar length of 1/2"

Flog the bricks on eBay. Reclaimed / weathered bricks are over £1 each ... and I think there is a risk that if they are left flat on the ground like that that the frost might get into them.

Is the Eucalyptus at the end of the garden one of the ones you planted about a month ago? If so its impressively tall :)
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:Is your hose over 25M? If so I would recommend trying 3/4" hose. I get nearly twice as much (volume) through mine as similar length of 1/2"

Flog the bricks on eBay. Reclaimed / weathered bricks are over £1 each ... and I think there is a risk that if they are left flat on the ground like that that the frost might get into them.

Is the Eucalyptus at the end of the garden one of the ones you planted about a month ago? If so its impressively tall :)

Yes the hose is a 35m hose attached to a 25m hose. The water pressure is okay, not great but usable. I've not seen 3/4 hose plus does the sprayer end make a difference?

Three of the four Eucalyptus you saw as very small plants. I added a forth, bigger plant that you spotted in the video.

Might well do that regarding the bricks. They are super strong because they have been laid on the ground for I'm guessing 20 plus years and they are in great condition. They were laid as a path but now moved out of the way, ready for some planting.....
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

video isnt working for me and i really wanted to see it
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:video isnt working for me and i really wanted to see it

Strange there is no music which sometimes causes problems. icon_scratch
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I've not seen 3/4 hose plus does the sprayer end make a difference?
Hoselock style connectors interchange with 1/2" ones so you can still attach the same sprayers etc.

Some time back I made a comparison timing how long it took to fill a couple of buckets from the garden tap, and then with 50M and 100M of 1/2" hose, and 100M of 3/4" hose

50M x 1/2" hose takes 55% longer to fill a bucket, and a 100M hose takes 85% longer

Whereas a 100M x 3/4" hose only takes 20% longer ...

Direct from outside Tap 1m12.5s
100M x 3/4" hose 1m26.8s
100M x 1/2" hose 2m14.1s

So if you are handwatering plants you'll be able to do more in the same time :)

One downside is that the hose is heavier, so takes a bit of hefting around, and the stiffness of the hose meant that the plastic connectors weren't really up to it, so I would recommend brass ones instead.

Also recommend you get tri-flex hose - much more flexible than the thicker walled 3/4" hoses
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Vid works fine for me icon_thumleft
Looks a tad daunting to me. It`s a very large area to landscape. Not sure i`d know where to start??
I guess it`s all relative though. It probably looks like a postage stamp to Kristen! :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Andy P wrote:It probably looks like a postage stamp to Kristen! :lol:
Each of my "rooms" is normal garden sized ... but I scratch my head just like others do. Once planted lots gets moved / changed for the first few years when we discover that something is shorter/taller than expected, or looks pants next to X, or would look great next to Y. There are lots of labels on things saying "Move to XXX" - I hope I can find them all, and remember what I intended, come the Autumn!

We have two "rooms" left to develop here, and I have barely a clue what we are going to do with them ...

Mine is based on things I have seen in other gardens that I have liked. I figure that starting with dimensions / perspective and some plant combinations that have worked well for others gives me a flying start, and reduces the chance of having to majorly rehash it all. My knapsack, when visiting a garden, includes a 30M reel tape measure, much to the amusement of other garden visitors (and the embarrassment of my kids!)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:
Andy P wrote:It probably looks like a postage stamp to Kristen! :lol:
Each of my "rooms" is normal garden sized ... but I scratch my head just like others do. Once planted lots gets moved / changed for the first few years when we discover that something is shorter/taller than expected, or looks pants next to X, or would look great next to Y. There are lots of labels on things saying "Move to XXX" - I hope I can find them all, and remember what I intended, come the Autumn!

We have two "rooms" left to develop here, and I have barely a clue what we are going to do with them ...

Mine is based on things I have seen in other gardens that I have liked. I figure that starting with dimensions / perspective and some plant combinations that have worked well for others gives me a flying start, and reduces the chance of having to majorly rehash it all. My knapsack, when visiting a garden, includes a 30M reel tape measure, much to the amusement of other garden visitors (and the embarrassment of my kids!)
Vid finally worked for me..good luck with it Kris I look forward to watching it come together!

Funny you say it like that Kristen I have heard other people say your garden should be like your house and each room have its own personality and style. Hopefully when I move I have a chance to do this..at least thats how it looks on paper no idea how it will come out in the end.