Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
cordyman

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog January video update.

Post by cordyman »

miketropic wrote:I envy you being able to work outside during the winter months and getting thing prepared. keep up the good work
I didnt think you'd ever envy our climate Mike icon_scratch :lol:
cordyman

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Here's a quick update from the last five weeks.... not a lot to see but hardly any frosts and a big muddy plot now exists! (Apologies for the camera moving when things actually get exciting.....)

Great progress :D Can't wait for a closer up camera tour! icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Whetting our appetite as usual, Kris :D
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Good space to work with there Kris. Are you going to protect the centre of the garden with high planting around the outer borders to shelter from the wind?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

cordyman wrote:
miketropic wrote:I envy you being able to work outside during the winter months and getting thing prepared. keep up the good work
I do love my baking hot summers and the added growth but once November comes I am stuck inside till April. I'll give you 10 degree F summer heat for 10 in the winter? fair trade? Glad the winter has been mild for everyone over there and some work is getting done. can't wait to see it finished.
Temps are expected to drop down around -17c again next week..worst winter I can remember...starting to remind me of the 2010 you all talk about.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cheshirepalms wrote:Good space to work with there Kris. Are you going to protect the centre of the garden with high planting around the outer borders to shelter from the wind?

Yes this year, shrubs and bamboos will be planted down the left hand side and hopefully the hawthorn plants will establish on the back border along with other plants.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

miketropic wrote:
cordyman wrote:
I do love my baking hot summers and the added growth but once November comes I am stuck inside till April. I'll give you 10 degree F summer heat for 10 in the winter? fair trade? Glad the winter has been mild for everyone over there and some work is getting done. can't wait to see it finished.
Temps are expected to drop down around -17c again next week..worst winter I can remember...starting to remind me of the 2010 you all talk about.

Being stuck inside completely till April and -17*c etc, i'm not sure i'd trade that for a hotter summer :shock: :lol: I'll just take the hotter summer part please :D
Yorkshire Kris

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog Tropical sleeper video.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob

Re: Yorkshire Kris blog NEW!!Tropical sleeper video.

Post by fern Rob »

Are you going to top the soil pun the bed you have already planted?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

fern Rob wrote:Are you going to top the soil pun the bed you have already planted?

Yes I will be. Different soils in different beds. Some arid some rich and some ericaceous.
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Kris its looking great.
Im no use a recognising types of palms. In your tropical sleeper video part 1, what is the large palm in the middle and surrounding smaller palms which all have little protection structures over them?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

rufc15lizzie wrote:Kris its looking great.
Im no use a recognising types of palms. In your tropical sleeper video part 1, what is the large palm in the middle and surrounding smaller palms which all have little protection structures over them?

The big palm is a Jubaea and the smaller ones are Trachycarpus princeps. Shelters provided as it's their first winter in the ground and Jubaeas don't like ice in the crowns although so far it's been ice-free! icon_cheers icon_cheers
Springy

Post by Springy »

Those aeoniums look good Kris, how hardy are they?! I take it that you would cover them too if the weather turned colder. Mine are kept dry in my unheated shed with minimal watering.

Also how do you get your videos to show on the page? Mine are just a link to my video. Do I have to put the link in between something?!

Jubaea still looking great! icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Springy wrote:Those aeoniums look good Kris, how hardy are they?! I take it that you would cover them too if the weather turned colder. Mine are kept dry in my unheated shed with minimal watering.

Also how do you get your videos to show on the page? Mine are just a link to my video. Do I have to put the link in between something?!

Jubaea still looking great! icon_thumleft

I fully expected the aeoniums to be mush by now. I have too many to overwinter so that lot have been left in the ground (I have plenty of spares in the garage) The ones in the ground have taken -2.5 without protection and in previous years you was fine down to -4 with protection.

To get a video on the forum copy the link like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CAd32rMJxQ

Then delete everything before the equals sign (and delete the equals sign)

-CAd32rMJxQ

The highlight the remaining text and press the media button
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks for the video tip Kris, I'll try that.

I dug my aeoniums up before any signs of cold weather but I think that I could have just covered them with a sheet of glass. I'll wait until I've built my stock of them up first before I leave any out though!

I hope the weather stays good for you to get things done! icon_sunny